Club Soda

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

Club Soda

#1 Post by platinum »

I love club soda, i drink at least one liter per day. I don't like coca cola or other swetend sodas. Can one drink club soda when having braces???

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Club soda is just carbonated water, right? (sorry I'm in the UK and we don't call it that here)

If it doesn't contain sugar or citric acid and is purely water with added fizz, I can't see how it would be a problem. Orthodontists recommend you avoid too many acidic or sweetened juices, but plain fizzy water should be free of those.

Maybe you should check with your ortho though, just to make sure.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

yep! carbonated water.

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I sure hope so..... I've been braced since September and have club soda at least once a week. As far as I know its non-sweetened so there's not the issuses that once has with most fountain drinks.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

PrincessMelody

#5 Post by PrincessMelody »

I hope so too. I don't drink club soda but I am addicted to diet coke! It's artificially sweetened so it's not any worse than club soda...right?!?
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

katmc_tx

#6 Post by katmc_tx »

You might also try drinking these beverages with a straw as it will limit the direct contact with you teeth. As crazy as it sounds I drink my wine with a straw so that I limit the dark stains.
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

Will VT

#7 Post by Will VT »

Club soda is just carbonated water, right? (sorry I'm in the UK and we don't call it that here)
What is it called in the UK? Just curious...

Club soda is acidic. When you dissolve carbon dioxide in water to make club soda, you get carbonic acid. Same thing that contributes to Diet Coke's (and other sodas) acidity. I think some of the other ingredients in soda make it more acidic than plain club soda, but still something to keep in mind. I'd imagine that club soda is less damaging to dental work than soda, though. Just to be safe, ask your ortho or rinse with plain water after to wash away any acid residue.

I can't believe I still remember this from my geeky days of honors chemistry in high school...

maple

#8 Post by maple »

Interesting feedback about club soda Will. I had no idea it could be a problem.

I have been worried about sugar in soft drinks, but I didn't think about the acidity. Thanks for that info.

My ortho assistant told me that Mountain Dew stains clear ligatures really bad. I don't drink Mountain Dew or any soft drink variety, but I am curious what is in the soft drinks that stains ligatures?

Food coloring perhaps????

Will VT

#9 Post by Will VT »

I reread my post, and I just want to clarify. I'm not certain that club soda will damage dental work, but it certainly is acidic. Less acidic than soda, but acidic none the less. If acidic beverages are off limits for you, club soda is something that's at least worth asking a professional about.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

What is it called in the UK? Just curious...
It's usually known as sparkling water or mineral water, although if you went into a bar you'd ask for a whisky and soda. If you asked for club soda I don't think anyone would know what you meant :lol:

Interesting about the carbonic acid Will, I'm glad those chemistry lessons came in handy. Mine are too long ago for me to remember much!

Eating a totally acid-free diet while braced would be well-nigh impossible though. Fruit is acidic for a start. All we can do is try and minimise the contact with acid foods, and drinking carbonated beverages or fruit juice too often is just going to bathe your teeth in acid on a regular basis.

Will VT

#11 Post by Will VT »

Ah, ok. I'm always interested to hear about this sort of stuff. Around here, we've also got sparkling water and mineral water but they tend to be a little fancier than club soda. San Pellegrino or Perrier are what people normally are thinking of they order sparkling or mineral water. Club soda is what comes out of the soda gun behind the bar (plain old tap water mixed with carbon dioxide) or in a one or two liter plastic bottle from the supermarket. Bartenders usually know what you mean if you order a "whiskey and soda" around here, although you might end up with a "jack and coke" instead if you're not careful.

tinseltownusa

#12 Post by tinseltownusa »

Club soda has sodium in it, while sparkling water & seltzer water do not (or a negligible amount). Not sure what the difference b/w sparkling water and seltzer is.
I was told to limit all carbonated beverages as the carbonation wears on the cement Not just a sugar thing I don't think but I think I'm going to check up on that again b/c I love sparkling water....all the benefits of water & no sugar/artificial sweeteners but still has a "kick" to it!

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

one or two liter plastic bottle from the supermarket
yeah that's just called sparkling water here whereas mineral water would be something like Perrier, but the terms are kind of interchangeable on a day to day basis. I guess mineral water tends to be (and is probably supposed to be in order to earn the name) infused with natural minerals from being bottled at source.

The stuff that comes out of a soda gun in a bar we'd call soda water.

But I've never heard the term "club soda" anywhere in the UK.