IM ON MY WAY..

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ema27

IM ON MY WAY..

#1 Post by ema27 »

I Get my spacers later on this morning and im beginning to get anxious...iv heard it hurts afterwards but does it hurt while its being done and how long does it take..looking forward to starting my journey not looking forward to pain!!!!

jc75

#2 Post by jc75 »

Hi Ema

Don't worry, you'll be ok. It takes probably less than 5 seconds to put each spacer in. When my ortho did mine she had them on these plier type things and just popped them in between my teeth. You might feel a bit of pushing upwards if the teeth are a little tight but it doesn't hurt a bit.

You may have read on here that spacers are really painful, and I was really nervous before I got mine, just like you are now. I got them in and was waiting and waiting for the pain to arrive, but it never did! I think I was lucky but just try not to think about it and get on with things as normal. It may be a bit tender but you will still be able to function - don't worry! I ended up having mine in for quite a few weeks and in the end I didn't even know they were there!

ema27

#3 Post by ema27 »

thanks for replying im glad it doesnt take long-im hoping my experience is a good one like yours-they are meant to be in for a week so surely i can cope with pain and discomfort for 7 days!i mean how much damage can these little blighters do!!!

joney

#4 Post by joney »

I didn't have spacers as I have a different system. From what I've read here though some people can find them uncomfortable for a few days but luckilly they are not in place too long. I would imagine that it also depends on how tightly packed your teeth are. My daughters did just fine with their spacers, not sure if this is because of their age though.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you. There is lots of support on archwired if they do hurt. It also means that you are one step closer to getting your brace.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

ema27

spacers are on

#5 Post by ema27 »

I Have just been and got my spacers on-your right i was back in the car going home within 10 minutes!-so they dont take long .had some lovely pictures of me which will be my befores-looking forward to seeing the afters!!Braces go on next week-i was told it would take 20 minutes to put the braces on -i thought it took much longer!!!so far cant even tell that spacers are in-hope thats still the case in 6 days time-ta-ra for now!

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

Good luck!

I will get my spacers on Friday. i am not really scared that they cause pain. I had elastics when I was kid on top molars to fix crossbit. i can't remember them causing too much pain.