anyone else have a flipper or...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

looloog

anyone else have a flipper or...

#1 Post by looloog »

any kind of false tooth attached to braces while waiting for implant???

Gennel

#2 Post by Gennel »

I don't have one. There is a possibility that I may lose 1 front tooth on my bottoms. If I do ,the dentist showed me what the Flipper looks like. If it comes to that I may stay with a Flipper permanently because I am most likely NOT a candidate for an implant :( I have some boneloss there . I did not ask about cost!

Gennel

looloog

#3 Post by looloog »

They may be able to build up bone with a bone graft.
What about a bridge? Or is that not possible with you specific case?

eoberhauser

#4 Post by eoberhauser »

My left lateral (right as you're looking at it) is a flipper. I absolutely love mine.

Erin

looloog

#5 Post by looloog »

I just want to make sure we mean the same thing when we say flipper. Its a retainer like thing (molded to the pallate) with a tooth attached.
I only ask because it looks like all your teeth have brackets on them. So is there a bracket on your flipper or is yours a tooth attached to the braces with a bracket?? Just want to clarify. Im really curious to see what my other options may be as well and its good to know what others have...
thanks!

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

" I just want to make sure we mean the same thing when we say flipper. Its a retainer like thing (molded to the pallate) with a tooth attached ."

That is exactly what my dentist showed me.Depending on price, I just might get a bridge for that tooth. As far as a bone graft, I'm not spending anymore money,just don't have it . Right now the braces were $5,500 plus extractions,plus upcoming wisdom teeth extractions,fillings. By the time I'm done with braces it will be around $8,000. For now I still have my bottom tooth firmly attatched only because the bottoms don't have an archwire. A few months ago I had thebottom archwire on and within 4 hrs that tooth was extremely wobbly and pushed way forward. So my ortho said I might,might lose it. He took off the bottom archwire to work on something else and that tooth moved back and is now firm.The whole time it was attached to the wire it was in a whole bunch of pain every single day for weeks :-(

Gennel

eoberhauser

#7 Post by eoberhauser »

My flipper is a single "tooth" that he bonded a bracket to. It's only attached by the ligature and a nice tight wire tie holding it to the wire. I have probably had it for about 6-9mos and it has never come off. During adjustments it comes out with the ligs/wire and i have a huge gap there. (I easily forget the gap is there and it scares me everytime!) As you can see it is extremely natural and there is no additional appliance in my mouth.

Erin

looloog

#8 Post by looloog »

eoberhauser
that is what i wanted but i am left with my flipper which is a retainer with a tooth attached. My periodontist told me they can attach a tooth like you have to the bracket, but, my ortho is saying the wire is round and too thin to support it right now.
When did you get yours put on? Was it right at the start of treatment?
Thanks for sharing!!

eoberhauser

#9 Post by eoberhauser »

That makes sense, I have a pretty heavy rectangular wire. I got my flipper about my 5th adjustment in I think. Good Luck!

Erin

looloog

#10 Post by looloog »

Ah, at your 5th adjustement..Ok then, thats makes me feel better! I know now that maybe my ortho and dentist are telling me the truth! Because I will have the braces for 6 to 9 mo, my ortho said that I may never get to a really heavy wire to support the false tooth. But, its a wait and see situation!
So, can I ask then, before your 5th adjustment, did you just not have a tooth there??