Am I imagining this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheSarahMonster

Am I imagining this?

#1 Post by TheSarahMonster »

So it only been about 10 hours since I've gotten braced. Eating is a bit of a challenge. I can't seem to chew. My back teeth don't touch anymore. I have a really deep bite and my lower braces prevent my bite from closing completely...so my back teeth don't make contact with eachother. Now how does one chew food this way?

LadyTr0uble

#2 Post by LadyTr0uble »

I don't think it's your imagination; my bite has hanged a couple of times in the last two months (seems like it changes every time I got in for an adjustment--2 so far).

As for the chewing question, I am not sure how to answer that... SORRY! I had the exact opposite problem: when my back teeth meet, my front teeth don't really meet, so I still have a problem biting into things. I can suggest the trust ol' friends of mine that got me through the first week or two of being braced: yogurt, smoothies, mashed potatoes, mushed bananas, soft bread that can melt on the roof of your mouth...

Good Luck! *hugs

PS- CONGRATS!!!!

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

You develop a lot of skill using your tongue.
I've been there. Its not easy but you will adjust. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

charlotte T

#4 Post by charlotte T »

I had/have this problem too. Its getting a bit better now but at first all I could do was cut soft-ish food up really small and just swallow.... but be careful though! I know chewing is good to improve the blood flow, but sometimes is impossible!! Hope you get on ok

TheSarahMonster

#5 Post by TheSarahMonster »

I had a deep bite, and my ortho built up small lumps of "cement" on my lower first molar on each side (occlusal bonding/molar build-ups) to stop my upper incisors bumping the lower brackets. Has your ortho done neither this nor bite turbos? (turbos are little metal "steps" that are bonded to the back of your upper front teeth to stop you closing your bite down completely). With occlusal bonding, eating is easy; I can't imagine how people cope with turbos ... Can you chew at all at your premolars?

Click on this link to go directly to the references post within my story - general braces references & surgical references.
I'm wondering if this is something I should call my ortho about. I noticed that none of my teeth touch at all when my bite is closed...none of my molar (even premolars) make contact with eachother. In the frontMy lower braces are almost completely covered by my upper teeth, but now that my lower braces are there I can't completely close my jaw...so none of the back teeth touch.......

I can understand eating soft foods in the beginning, but I'll be unable to chew until I get my elastics on and my teeth start moving back....which may not be for another year.....

sultanatoman

#6 Post by sultanatoman »

:-1 Hi from Oman.

I'm going to my second appointment after getting braced in exactly one hour. I felt the same way you did when I was first braced - nothing lined up and it was just an annoying feeling. Somewhere after the first month, things just sort of popped into a much better alignment (albeit not perfect), and it's getting easier. Don't hesitate to call your ortho if you feel you need to.

The best thing I've done so far is really forced myself to eat and not 'baby' my mouth because I've read so far on the boards that it helps speed the alignment process up (or something like that!).

It WILL get better!

wmastin

Re: Am I imagining this?

#7 Post by wmastin »

TheSarahMonster wrote:So it only been about 10 hours since I've gotten braced. Eating is a bit of a challenge. I can't seem to chew. My back teeth don't touch anymore. I have a really deep bite and my lower braces prevent my bite from closing completely...so my back teeth don't make contact with eachother. Now how does one chew food this way?
Hi Sarah, I read here but haven't posted before. I had braces put on 6 weeks ago and what you're describing about contact is exactly what happened to me. FWIW, they also noted that I have a very deep bite, but decided to delay putting the bottoms on until it opens up a bit. The general thought was that with both tops and bottoms, they would get "tangled up" for lack of a better description. As it turned out, this was a great decision because I returned to my nightime clenching and grinding. Have braces only on the top allows me to use my night guard.

Anyway, immediately I noticed my bite was all screwed up. It never was even, but nothing met without effort. I was able to eat using only one side and chose the side that was easiest to make meet (happened to be my left). I do want to point out that this was a temporary condition and my bite now (6 weeks later) has somewhat leveled out, more level than even pre braces.

Hope this helps to reassure you.

katmc_tx

#8 Post by katmc_tx »

I had the same problem when I first got braced and I was frustrated and hungry and just in a bad way. My ortho assured me that it would correct itself in a matter of days or weeks. I was like what??? :yikes: I cant wait weeks to eat again but it only took about two weeks for my back teeth to start making contact. It was not perfect by any means but I could eat and that was the most important thing.
But if it would make your feel better call your ortho and just see what he/she has to say. Good luck
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

TheSarahMonster

#9 Post by TheSarahMonster »

I should add that my post assumes what's happening is that your front upper incisors are knocking into the brackets on the lowers before any of you chewing teeth (molars/premolars) can meet, yes?
Exactly...