Nervous, scared and anxious

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sultanatoman

Nervous, scared and anxious

#1 Post by sultanatoman »

:shock: (how I feel)

In an hour, I'm leaving for my second appointment since being braced. My first adjustment appointment included changing the top arched wire to something a little bit heavier and of course changing all my ligs. Which, by the way I changed to lavender and now look like a gross orange-ish / grey and I can't WAIT to move on to something NOT pastel. I should have 'listened' to the previous posts about the lighter colors... anyways...

:deep breath: I was told before being braced that I would need four extractions. Now, I'm not into the whole teeth jargon, so forgive me if I describe the location of my teeth that are going to be yanked. They are all directly behind my 'eye' teeth and I. am. freaking. out.

The ortho gave me the option to have them pulled out one by one, each week. To me, that just sounds like slow torture. Ugh. My DH suggested having all four, but then sort of melted into himself as I glared at him with poisonous darts shooting from my eyes while sitting in the ortho chair with a mouth stretched from ear to ear. What a pretty sight!

So, the plan is to go two by two, one upper and one lower. It's such a bummer because this weekend is a 3-day'er here because of a religious holiday and we planned to hop on over to the next country for a little get a way. The plan is still on, but we'll cancel if I'm socked out.

So, for those of you who have had their teeth yanked, what was your experience afterwards? Sorry if this is a repeat of previous posts, I'm just too frazzled to search.

sultanatoman

#2 Post by sultanatoman »

:dance:

1. Whoever whispered into my ortho's psyche, thanks because I won't have extractions until Feb. 1
2. Thank God my ortho's office is about 8 min from my house!
3. I was totally ready walking in to the ortho's office and was totally surprised when he said, 'Ok, Ms. sultanatoman, we will start extractions in two weeks!'

Thanks, KK for responding. You are right - I should chill and I'm sure that it won't be as bad as I'm making out, but I had a HORRID experience when I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed under general anesthesia. I woke up in the middle of the procedure with my oral surgeon standing on the armrests of the chair grumpling, "come on you &%$#^ tooth, come out!" I'm not joking, either. Not a cool thing to wake up in the middle of and I really had awful nightmares as a side effect of the anesthesia too. Having something extracted from my mouth brings on panic attacks now.

I don't mean to frighten others that are in my situation, but this is really my only place to vent as my family is back in the U.S., and people here aren't into medical stuff - they don't care - they just want to be 'fixed' without understanding what / how a dr. will be treating them (with). Very scary!

Anyhow, I worried for nothing and it looks like I'll have a nice trip this weekend!

p.s. I changed to red ligs this time and the ortho also added more wires on two teeth and twisted them. My mouth feels tight, but good.

cowlypso

#3 Post by cowlypso »

Getting the premolars out isn't at all as bad as getting wisdom teeth out. Try not to worry!!! I posted lots of details about getting my teeth out (got all 4 yanked at once) in "my braces story." Click on the www down below and you'll get whisked away to the first page. I'm not quite sure what page the extractions are on... maybe around page 3? Anyway, you can't miss them. I posted pictures. :lol:

But really, don't worry. I spent the rest of the day feeling sorry for myself. The next day I think I would have felt pretty good except I ended up with a migraine on top of the teeth. I took the prescription pain pills only at night before going to bed, for maybe 4 days.

I'm glad I chose to get them all done at once, just because it was such a non-issue. The whole pulling part really only took about a minute per tooth. The thing that took a while was getting high on the gas and then getting numbed up with the novocaine. And I'd much rather just get it all over with at once. But I do admit that it was a little tricky eating for a while because both sides of my mouth were affected. But I got them out on a Tuesday and was eating salad and pizza on Saturday.

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

Don't worry about premolar extractions.

I couldn't get all four of my teeth pulled at once because two of them were double rooted. The double rooted appt. was a little uncomfortable, but the regular single rooted teeth were nothing. Most people don't have the double rooted problem. I'm just special, I'm told. :wink:

The second apt. when I had the "easy" extractions, both teeth were gone in less than 10 minutes and I believe I went home for a couple of hours, then went off to my evening class at school! Didn't even phase me.

No worries!
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom