Hello and YAY!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nawners

Hello and YAY!

#1 Post by Nawners »

Hi all, I'm new to this board. I am 28 and FINALLY, after waiting practically my whole life, am getting braces. I am more excited than I have ever been. Is it sick and wrong to be this excited? I have already gone and had my diagnostics, and am just waiting to save up enough of the down payment to go finally get them. +\+
I just cannot wait!
Most people seem so scared and dissappointed that they have to get braces.
Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you! This site has really helped keep the impatience at bay... :frogbraces:

jennielondon

#2 Post by jennielondon »

Welcome and congratulations!!
jennie london
socially awkward since 1984

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

Excitement....fear....nervous..... Yeah been there, done that. Why? This is something we have control of that has the potential to make a positive difference.

The potential to make that change is exciting. Of course many of us FEAR change. Its also a leap of faith into the unknown to let someone use their skill to change our appearance. I'm sure many of the emotions of going through orthodontic treatment is very close to what someone goes through with elective plastic surgery. In our hearts, we want to believe its worth it. Unfortunately its also easy to question if it is.

Don't let this dissuade you from following through with treatment. Just use it to help understand your emotions.

For myself, I felt all of the emotions you express. Its been a good experience. I know the excitement was justified (almost every time I'm at my ortho I tell them how happy I am to be able to see teeth when I smile), the fear and the nerves weren't.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

*boom!*

#4 Post by *boom!* »

Congratulations on your new venture! I think it's very normal to be excited just as I think it is normal to be apprehensive or just plain scad. I was more excited, too!
[/url]

Elyse84

#5 Post by Elyse84 »

I know how you feel! I'm excited but I'm also a little sad - that I didn't do it earlier!

I've always felt self-conscious about my gap between my teeth, and while that's not really the problem (I'm mainly getting braces to make my adult canines come down), I'll be glad to see it go!

Good luck!

Nawners

#6 Post by Nawners »

Well, I got my w-2 back much earlier than expected, which means I will have the money, which also means I got to set a date! It makes it much easier to patiently wait when you have a date set...
I am set to get spacers on 2/9, and the braces on 2/22... A month away, but it's getting started a lot sooner than I thought it would.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!! :)

skyclad

excited about braces

#7 Post by skyclad »

I am excited also. I can't wait even though I have read every single story on the board about how much it hurts later on.

I hate my smile and am confident that orthodontia along with my awesome ortho and my cooperation can fix this ailment. :D

I am not so excited about the dental work required prior to braces. I need at the very least a root canal in my upper front incisor and my upper wisdom teeth removed and maybe my lower wisdom teeth also. If I get those removed that makes me eligible for invisalign.

Karla

skyclad

forgot to say

#8 Post by skyclad »

that i am using my tax return for my braces as well.

LadyTr0uble

#9 Post by LadyTr0uble »

Congrats!

I was SO excited when I was booking The Appointment that I made the receptionist promise that if someone canceled, for her to call me, so I can go in earlier. Yeah, I couldn't wait. Well, my logic was the sooner I get the braces on, and the extraction done, the sooner the gap would go away.

Was i scared? Heck yeah! Anf right after I got them on, the thought of "what in the world did I get myself into?!?!?!" crossed my mind.

PS-My second payment to my ortho is my tax return :)

skyclad

my apologies

#10 Post by skyclad »

I didn't say that they all said that, I did read a few that experienced some pain and some of the lucky ones who were told it would hurt and never did.

Either way I am doing it. I had to convvince my mom that it was a good idea. She wasnt happy as she had plans for my tax return. :x but it is my money and I had the ortho write her a letter telling her how much it benefited me to get braced.

I have a dentist appt tomorrow hopefully I can get something done and be closer to my braces.

I am using some of my tax return for down payment and then placing the rest in a savings account to gather interest between payments.

skyclad

salt water

#11 Post by skyclad »

I remember that stuff from when I had a tongue piercing. lol. I have a dentist appt tomorrow and am hoping to get a lot of work done. I know I will be in a lot of pain but that much closer to braces. I cant wait for memorial day and or easter or the 4th of july. I am sure my family will be sufficiently shocked. (you should have seen my aunts face when she learned I have a lexus. Priceless. Unfortunately I dont have that car anymore.)

I dont want anyone to think I am getting braces for the shock factor, that is merely a side benefit. :D