Should I go back?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lillibut

Should I go back?

#1 Post by lillibut »

Hey guys, just need a bit of advice. (I LOVE this forum!)

Yesturday I had my second adjustment with my original ortho whos back from maternity. She hasn't seen me with my braces on, but I had all my consultations with her.

When I got home from being adjusted, a piece of wire (think its the end of the archwire) was digging into my cheek at the back.

I called the ortho, who got me back in straight away and snipped the wire down.

However, its still poking me like crazy!!!

My dilema is this:

Is this just part of the braces process and will my cheek get used to it? (The assistant in the office offered me more wax to combat the problem when I left after the second trip)

Will the ortho be mad if I call again? She was lovely, but kinda made out like I could've put up with it.

My next appointment isn't for eight weeks so quite a while to go with a wire digging in! (unless like I say it is just part of process?)

Sorry this post is so long!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tasha0313

#2 Post by Tasha0313 »

If the wire is bothering you, I would go ahead and all the orthos office to see if you can come back in. There's no point in being in pain and discomfort when you don't have to.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Wax doesn't really help with pokey wires, and from personal experience I can say that it just gets worse as the lining of your mouth gets more irritated, and eventually you'll have an ulcer.

If you're sure it's the archwire poking you, definitely go back and get it snipped again, or at least get the end bent inwards so that it's not sticking straight out.

sultanatoman

#4 Post by sultanatoman »

Sorry to hear your ortho makes you feel like you should have dealt with something that clearly hurt/bothered you.

When I had my braces first put on, my ortho snipped, then sort of grinded the wire ends down - maybe she can do that for you?
:?:

lillibut

#5 Post by lillibut »

Thanks so much for your support.

Just wanted to know it wasn't just me being an annoying patient!!

Will call into the orthos tomorrow on my way home from work and let you know the outcome.

xx

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Yes, I would go back also and have. Sometimes the archwire actually slips out of the back bracket too. Especially if you are on those thin wires.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

lillibut

#7 Post by lillibut »

I went back to my ortho today and saw the original one who put my brackets on.

He was great and drilled (!) down to wire so it is no longer pokey snd said "That must have been hurting you!"

So...back on the road to a fab smile once again!

Yipee!!

Thanks for all the advice and reassuring me I'm not mad or alone on this journey xx :D

LucyQ99

#8 Post by LucyQ99 »

Good Deal...

Please don't be afraid to call them if you're uncomfortable. After a snip or two you'll be on your way :D .

Also, for your next adjustment, try to remember to feel (with your tongue probably) if the wire is sticking out before you leave so they can snip it immediately.

Enjoy your experience!