Headgear help

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mary oregon

Poor Matt...... SIGH!

#16 Post by mary oregon »

Oh Matt,
I had to wear headgear this past year and I really never got used to it. It was eventually acceptable but I would admit it was the worst part of my ortho treatment. It made me feel like an absolute martian! LOL! I was able to wear mine 17-20 hours a day. It made it so instead of having to wear it for 6 months, I only had to wear it three months. I was happy it was over quickly. I am staying home with little kids, so I wore it at home all the time. Some weekends I wore it all weekend, until we went out, but mostly all the time. You can rack up many hours on the weekend. Put it on all the time you're alone and you'll find that you can wear it more than you think.

Honestly, though, there is no real way to diguise the wretched thing. It is what it is and there is no real cool way to drink from a cup with it on, to sneeze with any class or grace and talking was not all that fun either. I drooled and spit more and my little kid always asked me to repeat what I was saying all the time. Full braces, strong elastics and headgear has a definite impact on your speech. SHEEESH!

Just wear it all the time you can and that way you can get it off sooner. Watch a lot of movies, read a lot of books. Take advantage of the fall and then winter and hibernate in your headgear and hopefully you'll get able to stop wearing it by late spring or summer.

I feel for you. I had a very hard time sleeping it in at first and YES!!! MOLAR PAIN is so true! WOW.... your molars are super sore the first week or so but the more you wear it, the less it hurts. If you take it on and off all the time because of sore molars, they will actually hurt longer. keep it on if you can.

good luck! mary
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.

HeadgearJoe

Re: Poor Matt...... SIGH!

#17 Post by HeadgearJoe »

mary oregon wrote:Oh Matt,
I had to wear headgear this past year and I really never got used to it. It was eventually acceptable but I would admit it was the worst part of my ortho treatment. It made me feel like an absolute martian! LOL! I was able to wear mine 17-20 hours a day. It made it so instead of having to wear it for 6 months, I only had to wear it three months. I was happy it was over quickly. I am staying home with little kids, so I wore it at home all the time. Some weekends I wore it all weekend, until we went out, but mostly all the time. You can rack up many hours on the weekend. Put it on all the time you're alone and you'll find that you can wear it more than you think.

Honestly, though, there is no real way to diguise the wretched thing. It is what it is and there is no real cool way to drink from a cup with it on, to sneeze with any class or grace and talking was not all that fun either. I drooled and spit more and my little kid always asked me to repeat what I was saying all the time. Full braces, strong elastics and headgear has a definite impact on your speech. SHEEESH!

Just wear it all the time you can and that way you can get it off sooner. Watch a lot of movies, read a lot of books. Take advantage of the fall and then winter and hibernate in your headgear and hopefully you'll get able to stop wearing it by late spring or summer.

I feel for you. I had a very hard time sleeping it in at first and YES!!! MOLAR PAIN is so true! WOW.... your molars are super sore the first week or so but the more you wear it, the less it hurts. If you take it on and off all the time because of sore molars, they will actually hurt longer. keep it on if you can.

good luck! mary
hi matt , hope you are getting a bit more use to the headgear now, yes wearing it as much as you can realy helps , headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

EDWARD

HEADGEAR

#18 Post by EDWARD »

HELLO,
I've been in headgear for sometime now and you will get used to it. In the begining its scary wereing it but in a few days no big deal. I wear mine about 19 hrs a day and i also have metal brackets and 4 to 6 rubberbands at once. Ive worn my headgear just about every were.
like dinner, movies skiing, the beach and goiing out at night. so go for it and have fun with it.
Good luck

HeadgearJoe

#19 Post by HeadgearJoe »

yea i'm wearing my headgear where ever, an when ever i need to so i keep the hours up ,it has realy become a part of me i guess, however i realy don't see me missing it at all , when the braces are removed , wich is getting very very close , the molors are tipping very nice , headgearjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08