teeth running out of room?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trequ

teeth running out of room?

#1 Post by trequ »

ok so i had 2 teeth pulled and they're pulling my front top teeth back to fill in the gaps
but i swear they're running out of room.

they are already hitting the bottom teeth, making it very annoying since im not used to that and every once in awhile my bottom ones hit the top ones really hard...
which hurts so bad

also another thing, when they make me bite down at the ortho, they always push my jaw really far back... which makes me think that in the end, thats where my jaw is going to be sitting...
but that position is so uncomfortable, and doesnt feel natural

im just wondering if anyone else has experianced this and if its normal

JumpTheDitch

#2 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I think I know what you mean, Trequ; I had 2 x upper second biscuspids removed and have been waiting on the gaps to close to retract my overjet.

The original idea was to use IPR to create a little room in the bottom arch to pull them back too, however my ortho hasn't done any IPR (or anything much at all) to my lower arch yet.

Initally my treatment time was meant to be 14mths, meaning I am due to get debraced in about 1.5 mths, however I wouldn't be happy if he tried to deband me then. So far one extraction gap has closed but the other is still wide enough to fit my tongue in (and has barely moved at all in 6 weeks). More concerning (for me anyway) is the fact that my molars still don't fully touch, making chewing difficult. Right now when I bring my uppers and lowers together naturally, I can fit my tongue between my first molars on both sides :? Trying to make my molars meet properly (or as near to as I can get) requires pulling my jaw back as far as I can, which feels very uncomfortable.

I know what you mean about unexpected top and bottom arches clashing painfully. I guess it takes a little while for your muscles to get used to the new teeth positions, especially since they were in the old positions for so long, and the new position seems to change daily!

I guess all you can do is mention your concerns to your ortho (something I'm trying to do with mine!).

Good luck with your treatment :thumbsup:

johnnya

#3 Post by johnnya »

Hi!
Your jaw will adjust to it. Don't worry. Before bracing, I could not pull my lower jaw teeth behing the top front ones. Now I can do that by at least 5 mm. And that was before my extraction gap closed.
You'll likely need elastics though.

trequ

#4 Post by trequ »

johnnya wrote:Hi!
Your jaw will adjust to it. Don't worry. Before bracing, I could not pull my lower jaw teeth behing the top front ones. Now I can do that by at least 5 mm. And that was before my extraction gap closed.
You'll likely need elastics though.
what will the elastics do?

johnnya

#5 Post by johnnya »

Depending on the configuration, elastics can align the top and bottom teeth together. When you wear them 24h your jaw will adjust itself to the new position. It really is amazing!