braces on the same day as the consultation?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tnj1220

braces on the same day as the consultation?

#1 Post by tnj1220 »

ok, so I have my questions together for my dentist who I see next week - basically I need let them know I'm considering orthodontic treatment, and ask them to review my treatment plan with that in mind and highlight any work which they feel must be done before doing any orthodontic work.

my consult is on 2/14.

I've done my homework on this, and although I am not an orthodontist, I know my mouth and I think I've got enough information to know what type of things I can expect them to diagnose - slightly-off midline, moderately deep vertical overbite, possibly a narrow lower arch, and some spaces to close on one side, etc. along with some straightening of my top-front teeth - not a lot of cosmetic straightening there, but it's all going on at the same time...

when I scheduled the appointment they let me know that if I'm ready to have braces put on, then they can be ready to do it that day.

so my question is this: if the orthodontist's diagnosis and recommendation are close to my expectations, and if I am comfortable with this orthodontist (who comes highly recommended by many), is there any reason to wait?

T

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I say if your satisfied with whats going to happen and your dentist says all is a go and if you want to go for it on that day then I say go for it, the sooner you start the sooner it will be over!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

well, when I went to my first consultation, I was told that they put bottom and upper braces in my next appointment. Well, next appointment was records, I was told I just get lower braces for a start, and uppers after 6-8 weeks. Well, in my third appointment I was told that I will have my lowers for 6-9 months before uppers... I guess the ortho had done some thinking between my appointments.

Hmm, I would let the ortho study your records before getting braces...

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

I did spacers at my consult. I knew from previous discussions with a dental hygentist what to expect. The orthos's comments reflected that. I knew to do it or I'd not follow through.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

BlueeyedManda

#5 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I put my braces on the say day as my consult. At the time I was just fixing my top teeth and I wouldn't be needing band so I took the plunge. A year later I decided to do the whole mouth and I should be getting them off this spring. The tops were put on Feb of 05.
Good Luck

JoeMama

#6 Post by JoeMama »

You might be amazed at the different courses of treatment you will get at different consults, or even just the difference between the orthos themselves. I know I was — and there was a clear winner both in terms of treatment plan and general ortho/office situation. But I would have never known this if I had only visited one ortho.

However, if you're comfortable with your decision and aren't going to second guess it later, then go for it. Some people don't need or want options and that's perfectly OK. Whatever works for you! :D
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

hd2755

#7 Post by hd2755 »

picture this you are 110 miles from your orthro and you do not want to have to go down there like a yo-yo or like the aussie boomerang. i told my orthro this is how it is going to work:
1-2-07 9:15 am appt for consult
11:15 am end of consult
11:15 to 12:30 lunch
12:30 to 2:00 braces are going to be applied.
and that is what happened to the minute.

hey you are giving him/her 5,000 or more of your money i think it is about time that we are in the drivers seat on treatment not a back seat passenger the braces are going on YOU not the doc! also you have to take time off work/school/your own time for this and the old saying applies here time is money and money is time so lets have them work for the 5,000 not in one hour increments.

the only thing is get ready to not to eat anything of substance for awhile. i still cannot eat a piece of bread without soaking it first or mashing it in the roof of my mouth and swallowing it. havent chewed anything since 1-2-07 just mashing and swallowing you have to crawl again before you can walk again.

i say get it done asap!

louis

platinum

#8 Post by platinum »

It sounds that the orthos want to be sure that you will be their patient, if they just put the braces in your mouth just like that. I mean when do they study X-rays, molds etc. to find out where to place brackets.

tnj1220

#9 Post by tnj1220 »

platinum, that's what i thought too. i'm not worried about going with this ortho based on his rep and the recommendations of so many including my excellent dentist.

but it's business, and they want to secure the income. if you go in for the consult and they pitch it to you right there, it's easier to say 'ok, go' than it is to go home and agonize over it or have another set of hands (or two) in your mouth.

at least i know they might pitch bracing me that day, and i can come prepared for that...

hd2755

#10 Post by hd2755 »

kiwi,

I guess I am paranoid about eating anything of substance right now since i really cannot get the teeth to match up like they did before and with all of this new hardware in my mouth 5,000 worth i do not want to break them and well all of my teeth have that falling out of my mouth feeling and it is hard to adjust to this, i guess i will have to be a bit braver and toughen up my resolve to try to reaquaint myself to harder and harder foods over time. this is a really wierd feeling and just want to be cautious i guess. I will try as my confidence level does get higher.

louis

platinum

#11 Post by platinum »

I just wonder why to be in such a hurry to get braces...
It is not case like Appendicitis, when you don't really have time to shop around for the best surgeon...

alexa

#12 Post by alexa »

On the day of my consultation I signed my contract, got my x-rays done, got my molds done and they placed brackets on my top teeth (except for the two that would be exracted) and spacers between the teeth that would be banded. No wires were added at this appt. She was able to make out my treatment plan and do bracket placement as she already had the x-rays to go on.

Then I went and had teeth extractions as my treatment plan outlined I would have.

After the extractions were done, I went back and got my bottom brackets, my molars banded and they put in my wires top and bottom.

I wish I had shopped around a little, as Western Dental has proven to be a rather unfriendly place to do business with, however, the ortho herself (well...the first one... :roll: ) and her treatment were top notch.

Although there's no need to rush into treatment like I did, I chose to do this because I knew that if I didn't jump in and do it, I'd probably not get braces at all. I really needed to just be spontaneous and make it happen. I'm glad I did it that way.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Sherri

#13 Post by Sherri »

Personally I would take things a little slower . My ortho wanted me to have a good cleaning at my dentist, a check up with a periodontist that I have to do every six months which all adults in his care have to do. All of my moulds and photos were then sent from Vancouver to california where they consulted with my ortho for the best plan. Then spacers went on. Tops for maybe a week, bottoms were quite a bit longer. I think any one can take teeth and make them appear relatively straight but it takes time and careful consideration to align the teeth and their roots as well as the bite, so that they not only look good but fuction properly the rest of your life

platinum

#14 Post by platinum »

I agree you Sherri.

My lower incisors are going to be pushed in to the gums somewhat. I watched my X-rays with my general dentist, and was really wondering how one can do it without roots crashing. He was telling that it is difficult but the ortho knows how to do it.
I am happy that I did not get braces right away.

tnj1220

#15 Post by tnj1220 »

this orthodontist has a full lab in house (something I've seen recommended here). the consultation starts with a basic exam and discussion with the pationt, and an evaluation based on what they see before xrays. then they come and talk to you about next steps.

assuming you want to move ahead, they take xrays - a full panorama - and molds, which they can have ready for analysis pretty quickly, to determine what's to be done and how, and once those are available they come see you again to talk about options. they don't just start gluing appliances to your teeth.

but can they complete the initial diagnosis and be ready for to start treatment in just a couple of hours? if i know what i think needs to be done in the first place, and they come back with answers i anticipate, is it safe to think they can get started?

i'll let you know where it goes and if it plays out the way i am told it will...

thanks for all the feedback!