Lower Expander Progress. Can you see it???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Lower Expander Progress. Can you see it???

#1 Post by Gennel »

I got the bihelix/expander on the bottom molars in 11/06 . I've been staring at my teeth for all these weeks and sometimes it looks like there has been no movement at all and other times it looks like I see some good progress. I don't know if it's the way my tongue is in the pictures. But looking at this pictures I see movement!

First day 11-07-06

Today's adjustment 1-22-07 He put a bend on the wire in front

I told the ortho that I understood that he can't give me an exact timeframe as to how long I will need to wear the expander and if there was no more movement what was plan B.
He said he wants to see me wear the expander another 6 months for a total of about 9-10 months. I don't know what plan B is because we didnt even talk anymore lol. I kept biting down as his assistant changed my ligs lol. He asked me if I was enjoying biting his finger lol. I bit him like 3 more times lol We were both cracking up. I told him that if he hurt me , I would hurt him lol.

Gennel

overseasmel

#2 Post by overseasmel »

I definitely see movement in those pics. It seems to be widening/squaring out at the front quite a bit. Good news!

Here's to more good expansion!! :)

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

gramsinbraces

bottom expander

#3 Post by gramsinbraces »

Hi, thanks for posting the pictures of your bottom expander, I've been wanting to know what it looks like. Right now I have the one on top and the first 3 weeks were miserable. So What is it like for the bottom , is it just as bad? Does food get stuck in it also, does it hurt your tongue? Thank you and good luck to you.

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

The first 10 days with the bihelix was horrible for me. My tongue was raw on the sides where it kept rubbing the wire. I could not find a spot to put wax on. By the 4th day I could not even talk. Finally on the 11th day I found the exact spot that was the problem and I put a glob of wax on each side. I felt instant relief and was talking normally in a minute. By the next day the tongue was almost completely healed.
Now what I do is to put wax ONLY at bedtime because it seems that when I sleep,my tongue does not lol and if I don't put wax at night, I wake up I feel it sore sometimes. So now I just wax at night and I'm perfectly fine. I got a minor lisp for the first 2 days or so then that totally went away after my tongue got used to the new metal under the tongue.
The food does not get trapped in it because it's mostly a long wire.
I still use the waterpik to flush between the molarbands (that can be a problem area) Keep the molarbands as clean as possible since I have heard a lot of people realize they have cavities once the molarbands come off :-(
As with everything that has happened to me so far. A lot has been very painful , I guess because I had such crowded teeth and there was so much movement . The one thing that keeps me sane and positive is the fact that every pain or discomfort has always been temporary :)

Gennel

gramsinbraces

#5 Post by gramsinbraces »

LOL, that sounds exactly what I'm doing for my upper expander. AT first I had to coat it with wax during the day and nite, and now only at night, I'd wake up with my tongue stuck to it..it's getting much better and easier to talk , but the food is such a hassle and just doesn't taste the same. Do you have the upper? I will be getting braces on feb. 13, the top four teeth,,not sure what the plan is after that, but I do know that sooner or later I will be getting the bottom expander. Thanks for preparing me for it.

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

No, I don't have the upper expander. At my first consult my ortho said that I had enough upper expansion and I won't need the expander on top. I was sooooo happy when he told me that. And in the same breath he said that my bottom was so small that I would need a bihelix :(
I never knew that my lowers were so narrow! Then when I went to a dentist after 20+ yrs ,she said " Wow girl you have a tiny mouth /space"
Then the hygienist walked over to do the cleaning and said " You got such a tiny mouth, no wonder there is crowding!
By the way I totally love my dentist and hygienist! They are truly enjoying and appreciate to see my progress on my upper teeth so far
Gennel

gramsinbraces

#7 Post by gramsinbraces »

Glad to hear you like your hygientist , my daughter graduates this May and will be a Hygientist!!!
We have put both of our daughters in braces and college and now it's my turn, I know now it's going to be a long road but will be wonderful when it's all done and over with.
Good luck with your expansion, will be watching your progress.

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

KK, I was so upset that I did'nt take more pictures on the first day of my expander! I took one and thought it was clear enough :-(
I realize now that taking outdoor pictures are the way to go! Every outdoor pic I've taken is super clear. There's been some movement because of where the buccal hooks are hitting now. Before they were hitting the inside of the top molar and now they are hitting the center of the molar.The left side is more aligned than the right molar. The right molar has actually moved more but only on one edge . The only way I can explain it is like if someone is pushing you and only your upper body moved and your lower body stayed in the same spot. I have a positive feeling from this adjustment that there will be movement because this was the first time that these two molars were in pain! The other adjustment only hurt when I was in his office and he's putting pressure there. This time I went home and needed a pain pill at bedtime ,also no chewing on them!

Gennel
I've already heard that the lower molars being so tilted inward are one of the most difficult to get upright. So I was expecting those molars to moce in 2 months like my top teeth! lol
It's just a real pain because I am learning to have lots of patience with my lower teeth.

Gennel