My gums!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

She Waits

My gums!

#1 Post by She Waits »

Hi,

I am absolutely terrified at the moment! I have had my braces for almost a full week now and the pain has gradually eased away. However, while I was cleaning my teeth tonight I realised half the gum area where I have had a tooth extraction is swollen! It’s like a fleshy bubble and soft :shock: ! Can some one please advise me what is happening? Is it because of the movement caused by the braces or an infection? If this is a problem that requires medical attention do I seek my dentist or orthodontist?

Thanks in advance!

taylorhl25

#2 Post by taylorhl25 »

I had an extraction and the same thing happened, it became swollen and red but not exactly painful, just uncomfortble. In the end I went to a dentist and it just turned out to be an infection, I was prescribed antibiotics and a bacterial mouthwash and it was fine within 3-5 days.

One thing that helped me aswell was to gentle swirl / bathe the area with warm water, make sure you do not do this to hard.

She Waits

#3 Post by She Waits »

Thanks all! I'll get in touch with my ortho as soon as I can. It's just really strange because I had my extractions a months ago and everything until last night was fine :? .