Double Headgear Update... After a little adj today....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jose

Double Headgear Update... After a little adj today....

#1 Post by jose »

Hi All!

Just to give you alittle update on my double headgear Configurations!!

Today I went to Ortho to get a little adjustment and he not changed my headgear forces. He told me just to put it more as my molars are moving forward, and this is not good.

But I wear around 8 hrs per day... 4 before sleeping and about 4 in sleeping... Because after 4 hrs approx I wake up and I take it or not sleep anymore...

He told me that should be ok, but that it doesn't seems so..

Anyway with this evil device I still droll a lot, and I talk still a little bad...

In total if I wear it correctly I should need it for another 6 months, he told me...

It's hard , but I will try...

Anyway nobody ever got a double headgear here? I'm the only one in teh world?

Some supports or advises as usual welcome...

Here a couple of picture of latest changes...

Ciao

Jose

33/M/Double HG/Metal Brackets up and down GAC model

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

Ugh!

What is this set-up suppose to do?

You must be very determined to get good results!

(i would never wear that thing.....)

Good luck!

cowlypso

#3 Post by cowlypso »

I've only got it up top. But I do have it.

I've got an overjet, so the main concern is keeping those upper molars back where they belong and out of the extraction gaps. I've also got extraction gaps on the bottom, but that's not as big of a concern if the bottom molars come forward a bit.

I have a nance appliance, too, which is permanently welded to my upper molar bands and sits against my palate to keep my upper molars back. But my ortho said something or other about tipping with the nance and wanted to use the headgear too.

So I wear the headgear 12 hours a day. Either 8 to 8 or 9 to 9. I guess I'm lucky that I don't have too much of a problem sleeping with it. The first few nights it was hurting my ears, but we made an adjustment to the straps and it isn't bothering them anymore. I was surprised that I don't drool more, and I can't explain why I don't, but I hardly ever have a problem with that. I've kept a towel close just in case and occassionally wipe the corner of my mouth when I'm falling asleep, but really I don't seem to drool much at all.

Did your ortho suggest wearing it for more time, if your molars are coming forward? Maybe they can adjust something to make it more comfortable so that you can wear it through the night?

Oh, and I like the blue facebow. Much cooler looking than the silver. I wish my ortho had those!

janabug

#4 Post by janabug »

Hi,

I just got the headgear for my uppers and I also find myself drooling when I talk. I find it kind of hard to put the aparatus in the hole and snap it into place. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyway, I'm wearing the headgear about 9 hours a day, but I forgot to ask my ortho how long I will be wearing this thing. I just assumed It was only until my next visit. But now after hearing you guys, I think it will be longer.

jose

#5 Post by jose »

Hi all!

I got my double HG to keep my molars in place and not not make them going forward.

Thanks for your answers.

It'hard but if you are conviced to get you teeth in place you can do it.. I'm doing it.

Janabug, To attach the headgear you need a Mirror or after some days you will get used and will go on also without mirror.

Let me know if you need any furthe details.

Thanks to all.

Ciao

Jose

33/M/Double HG/Metal Brackets up and down GAC model

HeadgearJoe

#6 Post by HeadgearJoe »

i started out with upper only, then after a few months my orthodontist/tmj doc thought my lower could handle the lower facebow, boy was he wrong that lasted a little over a week , my jaw joints couldn't handle it so . i was placed into a lipbumper, gosh forever i wore the lipbumper , even broke a few of them , he also used pretty heavy elastics , an yes drooling is still a part of headgear wear i still do , you know it's funny , we have people asking questions about all this stuff all the time , i see a post like this a it makes me go to my ORTHO BOX an pull out old appliances , lipbumpers, old brackets, archwires old retainers, bitesplints , biteplates , headgear facebows some broken some not , MY gosh i've had a lot of CRAP in my mouth over the years , keep well hope this helps , hgjoe
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08