How are you paying for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#61 Post by nahky »

$5000

$220/ month - Full out of pocket

I Have paid it all off. Thank heavens for that... was always like a monkey on my back every month.

I worked to pay it off.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

MsViola

#62 Post by MsViola »

My Ortho had different prices for different types of treatment. Of course, clear and ceramic brackets are more expensive.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Nawners

#63 Post by Nawners »

I forgot to add one thing... I'm being charged $4780, but my employer provides something called HRA. Basically, I get a free $150 a month that I can use towards medical expenses, since I don't have actual health insurance (other than dental). So, all I have to do is submit my receipts and I get 100% back! So in all I will only be paying the down of $850. :frogbraces:
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

science teacher

payment

#64 Post by science teacher »

I put $650 down and pay $191 for the next 2 years.
kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

amd

Cost & Pmts

#65 Post by amd »

I am paying $7,500 total. This includes xrays during treatment, molds and a retainer at the end. The consulting xrays were $300 - out of pocket and I was reimbursed $175. My dental plan does not cover adult ortho treatment (even the surgery).
Down payment $1,500 (payable tomorrow)
Monthly payments of $200 for 30 months.
Surgery will cost $3,500.

I think I'm going to start panhandling! I'm also in the process of starting my own business so this doesn't seem like the best time financially, however, I've been putting it off since 1989. There will always be some other reason to delay so I might as well just "bite" the bullet and figure it out as I go.
amd
"I suffer from short term memory loss...I think"

TuZZi

#66 Post by TuZZi »

Cold, hard cash baby..... all $6000 of it. My insurance doesn't cover any of the actual orthodontics, but it partially covered the extractions and X-rays I had.

I had to pay $300 up front for the initial records, pictures, molds etc etc, and I pay $300 a month for 18 months.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

tcomeau

Re: How are you paying for your braces?

#67 Post by tcomeau »

... interesting stories to be told about how the money was obtained.
Two parts, the Brace part and the Crown part.

For the Braces:
  • Insurance covers $1500
    Down payment of $1400
    Monthly payment of $150 for 24 months, which I get immediately reimbursed out of an FSA
For a total of $6500.

The change in bite means I'll have to redo four crowns, and the crown two teeth that currently have large composite repairs. The replacements crowns probably will not be covered, insurance will probably cover half of the new new crowns.

The first $100 each month comes out of my giving up riding lessons. (My daughter and I had been riding jumpers together. She's still riding.) The other $50/month comes from a bunch of little economies, such as eating out less.

I haven't actually figured out how to pay for the crowns yet. I might use my home equity line of credit, if only to be able to tell people I literally mortgaged my house to fix my mouth!

tc>

MsViola

#68 Post by MsViola »

tcomeau - Hats off to you and everyone else for being willing to sacrifice to get what you want.

jeni

#69 Post by jeni »

Fee: $4430 (after insurance and before down payment)

I went with a high deductible health insurance plan this year through my employer. Instead of throwing all of the money away on premiums (when I have never come anywhere close to needing more than a couple hundred dollars for medical needs each year), the employer share and my pre-tax contributions are going into a Health Savings Account (HSA).

The money to pay my monthly installments of $230 (16 months) to my ortho will come out of the HSA. I will not even miss the money since it was all going to the insurance company in the form of premiums before. I paid the down payment out of pocket. But, my down payment can also be reimbursed through the HSA as soon as the money accumulates in the account. That is nice to know if I get hard up for cash at the end of the year!

I hope that no one in my family needs surgery this year because that will be completely out of pocket! Its a gamble and I cross my fingers that it will pay off this year!

Infatuation

#70 Post by Infatuation »

My total fee was 4400$ (metal braces), I paid half ahead and then I paid each month 120$. Retention with 2 retainers (bottom and top) and visits etc were all included. BTW, no insurance. I think it's quite affordable to have braces with no dental insurance.

MsViola

#71 Post by MsViola »

I am glad to say that my plans went better than expected and I was able to pay of my braces in April, 8 months early. :jump: That almost makes up for having to wear them, possibly 8 months longer than originally planned :cry:

TheNewEmperor

#72 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Cash. it took me a long time to decide to do this so I've put the money away over the years.

dugsmom

#73 Post by dugsmom »

We don't have dental insurance so it's coming out of our pockets. Thankfully Hubby has a good job so we can afford it. I paid 500 up front and we're paying the rest in monthly installments ($203 a month).
What I am worried about is paying for the 2 implants I will be getting in about 2-3 years. Thank God I have at least 2 years to save up...I am just starting to work from home (I am homeschooling my son so I HAVE to work from home) and all the money I make will be saved for the implants (hubby has no idea how much those are going to cost).

Jessica

badbite

#74 Post by badbite »

All out of pocket besides what MEDICAL insurance will cover.
SARPE -I paid about $1800-1900
OS fes I am around $300-400 so far (gloing every 6 weeks)
Braces/expander -anything to Ortho -$4,000
Second surgery will run $35,000-$40,000ish. Hopefully I'll only have to pay $5,000-6,000 of that.
Implant -who knows, after bone graft and everything I am hoping not more than $8,000.

I paid all I currently owe except for about $1,000 owed to the ortho, and I only got my top braces last week. Still waiting for lower braces.

I just wanted to add that I have had to pay the dentist over $3,500 this year too. And it is not because of neglect. I had to pay a new dentist to help me begin to "fix" what my old dentist di to my teeth. NOT FUN!

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

mwp921

#75 Post by mwp921 »

Wow, I didn't realize there were insurance companies that would pay for for even a portion of adult orthodontic braces (over 19 years old).

My insurance company has approved my jaw surgery, but I'm having to pay for braces myself (unless I've missed something - I have BC BS.)

I got a very low interest loan to pay the whopping $5430 in full up front. Saved $300 off the top by paying in full.