Pin implant? Helpy?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pilotgurl

Pin implant? Helpy?

#1 Post by pilotgurl »

So they are implating two pins in my mouth to hold elastics, i believe. What do they do? Does it hurt? Do they numb you with a shot.

thankies! :wink:

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

I guess you're talking about miniscrew implants?

There's a few of us here that have them. I had two but one came out, but I'm having it put back in next week.

They gave me injections beforehand and I didn't feel any pain at the time.

mindwaves

#3 Post by mindwaves »

Yeah, I had the guy numb my mouth using a needle and right away (I wish he waited a few mins) used an electric screwdriver thing to screw them in. Took just a few mins. You'll prob be described or take some pain killers and some antibiotics like I got.

Then you'll prob get some springs like me and you head will hurt for a few hrs before falling off (jk about the head falling off, but your head will hurt!), but you'll be fine.

pilotgurl

#4 Post by pilotgurl »

you mean they usally don't numb people for this?

mindwaves

#5 Post by mindwaves »

They do numb the mouth with medicine like I said. I just wished he had waited a few mins for the medicine to work instead of going to work right away.

pilotgurl

#6 Post by pilotgurl »

srry the way you said it it seemd like you MADE him numb like he was not going to.

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

My mini screws were attached behind my 2nd molar. They do not hurt at all. Make sure you warm salt water rinse and I was told to massage the area.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

pilotgurl

#8 Post by pilotgurl »

i read some where that sometimes they just use a gel, what did they use on u to numb?

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

Sometimes they will put a gel or cream on the gum, but in my case they did that so that I didn't feel the injection.

So I had
1) cream to numb the skin
2) a needle in the numbed skin to numb the deeper tissues
3) then the screws

I didn't feel a thing except some pressure when the screw was put in as he has to press quite hard.

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

Well, I hate to admit, but I had to have 2 mini screws put in and the surgeon wanted to use a bite block to prop my mouth open and I totally freaked, and so I opted for IV sedation to get them in. I never had a bite block in my mouth before this. It was the only way he agreed to put them in. The ortho did not do that kind of work. So unfortunately I had to pay extra to be put in la-la-land.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

pilotgurl

#11 Post by pilotgurl »

sorry to hear that

so what where your guy's pin for? To hold elastics?

sjsarre

#12 Post by sjsarre »

The ortho explained to me that my son (when he has his screws in March) will have a gel to numb the area slightly and an injection each side like when having a filling (he hasn't had a filling yet so is rather scared of the needles prospect)..

But the ortho said it shouldn't hurt and lots of salt water mouth rinses and ensure the area is really clean.

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

I've just got back from having my new one put in, and it didn't hurt at all.

edit - just noticed that this is my 1000th post :shock: I evidently have no life outside this forum lol

macca

#14 Post by macca »

Hi there Pilotgurl,
I have just had two mini screw impants put in on the 25th Jan, and I would say do not worry at all. All the apprehensions I had were were completely OTT and the procedure itself is really not bad at all, and it's over pretty quickly.
When the surgeon put mine in, first of all he applied a gel to numb the gum area, then used a needle to inject the stronger anaesthetic. I then had to rinse with a disinfectant like drink, which is not easy with a numb mouth, I was splashing most of it out my mouth and down my t-shirt.
Once the anaesthetic has taken effect, he then used a small drill like device to make the incision into the gum and jaw bone where the pin is to be implanted. He then inserted the pin with a screwdriver like appliance and tightened it in place.

I hope the description isn't too bad, but most of all don't worry too much, you really don't feel a thing. Afterwards, I only felt a sort of low-grade dull ache for about a day and right now I can't feel a thing (well apart from the screws themselves).

Hope it goes OK for you.

pilotgurl

#15 Post by pilotgurl »

thanks for all da feedback.

but what does OTT mean?

just wondering why did you have a surgon do it?