Help! Will my Back Molars Touch Some Time Soon?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shoshiaf

Help! Will my Back Molars Touch Some Time Soon?

#1 Post by shoshiaf »

I just got braced two days ago, and due to my extremely deep overbite (90%), my top teeth keep hitting my bottom braces when I bite down, prohibiting my back molars from touching each other.

My orthodontist warned me that this would happen; I just didn't know it was going to be so difficult in which to adapt. Has anyone here has had this similar problem? If so, when did you start to have movement that allowed you to finally close your mouth without hitting the bottom braces?

Help!! :cry:

Lee54

overbite & molar contact problems

#2 Post by Lee54 »

I can definitely empathize. I have an overbite problem also, and my ortho put two little "turbos" behind my front teeth that bump against the tops of my lower two, to stop the uppers from breaking off the lower brackets. It makes it so none of my teeth have contact except the two front ones top/bottom. The asst. said it could take 3-9 months to get the turbos off, and hopefully that means the molars will make contact by then. She said it depends on an individual's teeth movement--some move fast, some don't. I'm resigning myself to about 6 mo., and hope I'm delightfully surprised if they meet sooner. I have self-ligating In-Ovation-Clear brackets (so hopefully if the sales hype is true, it'll be sooner rather than later!) :D

TheSarahMonster

#3 Post by TheSarahMonster »

I have a very deep overbite too. So deep that my top teeth completely cover my bottom teeth (and then some). When I got braced (about two weeks ago), I had the same problem. None of my molars touched. Chewing was not only painful but impossible. However that only lasted for about a week. Now most of my molars make contact (although not in the right places). I can chew again........I'm back to eating normal food....

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I am just wondering how the molars will make a contact? Are they growing taller or something?

I quite happy to have a retainer, because I fully avoid hitting my lower brackets. Once I (tried) bite my teeth together without retainer and it hurt like nothing on earth.

platinum

#5 Post by platinum »

I am testing everyday, if I can bite without knocking of brackets...
With my retainer there is no change my molars will ever touch each other. There is 5mm gap between my molars.

In my next appointment I will ask for bite turbos or cement or whatever that do not show. Now I have a line over the top of my upper front teeth.