How long??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pink77blondie

How long??

#1 Post by pink77blondie »

How long do you have to wear braces... I am getting mine soon and I am sure I will have to have mine a long time because my teeth are so bad!

PrincessMelody

#2 Post by PrincessMelody »

24-30 months here. Got quite a bit of work ahead thanks to a wayward second premolar.
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

too long.

20 months.

bunnyfluff

#4 Post by bunnyfluff »

I had mine for about 32 months once they were finally taken off.

Love me, that's all I ask of you....
[ May 15, 2004 ]

gunter8888

#5 Post by gunter8888 »

6 months w/ an expander and 20-24 months in full braces. Or at least that's what they tell me.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

18 month estimate, at this point am scheduled to be done in 16 months.

And for what it's worth, I was a borderline surgery case, so my bite hasn't been easy to correct.

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

To long for what I thought was straight smile. I was told 24-30 months!

SDFD TSchott
*600+ POST MEMBER*

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Betty Bat

#8 Post by Betty Bat »

The quick answer is "as long as it takes". And, the time is different depending on what needs to be done. Did your ortho give you any estimate on how long it might take you? Mine mentioned it during my initial consultation and reiterated it when I got my braces on. My estimate was 18 months, and I'm hoping that it hasn't changed - that means my braces will come off in April!

JoviFan

#9 Post by JoviFan »

Well, I just got my uppers put on yesterday :) :) my estimate is also 18 months, but know realistically it could be longer.....we'll just have to wait and see how my progress goes I guess :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

shoshiaf

#10 Post by shoshiaf »

It's different for every person, although the average seems to be two years for most people.

SDFD TSchott

#11 Post by SDFD TSchott »

JoviFan wrote:Well, I just got my uppers put on yesterday :) :) my estimate is also 18 months, but know realistically it could be longer.....we'll just have to wait and see how my progress goes I guess :)
Congrats on your b-day how does it feel?

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

serendipity

#12 Post by serendipity »

I'm getting my braces off on the 20th of February :D - I was ready to have them taken off at 13 months but they couldn't fit me in till 2 months later. :roll: So 15 months in braces for me.... :wink:

If your just starting out remember the time does go pretty quick....I think the last couple months are the slowest though - well for me anyways +\+

~serendipity~
:computer:
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"

JoviFan

#13 Post by JoviFan »

SDFD TSchott wrote:
JoviFan wrote:Well, I just got my uppers put on yesterday :) :) my estimate is also 18 months, but know realistically it could be longer.....we'll just have to wait and see how my progress goes I guess :)
Congrats on your b-day how does it feel?

SDFD TSchott
Not bad, actually -- it's a little tough chewing....had lots of soft stuff today - tonight blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner --- yummy!!!!!!! There were a couple times my teeth hit just right and sent a twinge thru my head....oh well, life goes on! LOL Trying to get used to the cleaning routine, just takes ALOT longer than w/o braces....thanx for asking! :D :D
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

JoviFan

#14 Post by JoviFan »

serendipity wrote:I'm getting my braces off on the 20th of February :D - I was ready to have them taken off at 13 months but they couldn't fit me in till 2 months later. :roll: So 15 months in braces for me.... :wink:

If your just starting out remember the time does go pretty quick....I think the last couple months are the slowest though - well for me anyways +\+

~serendipity~
:computer:
WOW - 2 months for an appointment --- that seems long, or is that the way it is??????

serendipity

#15 Post by serendipity »

JoviFan - (I like you already - :heart: Bon Jovi! lol)

It's doesn't usually take that long to get a regular appointment aka adjustment. But the debandings are different, they take longer and you do get booked in, in advance. My orthodontist runs two practises so debanding bookings times are limited as he has to fit them in with regular adjustements etc.

To tell you the truth though at the time to think that I would be getting my braces off 3 months early was enough for me. The receptionist said " I have Feb the........" Me: "I'LL TAKE IT!" :thumbsup: :D

~serendipity~
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"