Could braces cause infections

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hjbtech

Could braces cause infections

#1 Post by hjbtech »

Hi,
I had cleaning and Braces adjusted at the same day. Since then I keep having this excruciating pain on my lower left teeth. I talked to my dentist last Saturday and he told me that I have infection under one of my tooth and I need root canal. The tooth is white and it does not show any signs of decay. I am wondering if the Orthodontist tightened the teeth too hard and caused this infection.

ghostmyimag3

#2 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I was given a paper explaining the things that could possibly go wrong having braces and a tooth dying was one thing on that list. I have had gum infections before but I have spots that have begun to break down.

I would hate to have to resort to a root canal but you surely dont want it to go abcess on you.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Rickysa

#3 Post by Rickysa »

Hi hjb,

One of the comforting things about orthodontics is that you never have to worry about moving the teeth causing nerve damage.

That being said, if a tooth has a history of trauma or a cavity that has already insulted the nerve, moving the tooth may make the already sick tooth symptomatic.

Is it one tooth? Is it sensitive to pressure, or hot, or cold?

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

Braced4braces

#4 Post by Braced4braces »

Hi! This post got me worried... Does pain felt when filling up a cavity means the tooth has nerve damage? I have quite large fillings on few of the molars. Does it mean braces r not suitable for me?