Elastics - Nearing End?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scrubalinda

Elastics - Nearing End?

#1 Post by scrubalinda »

Hi. I just finally got my first elastic / rubberband. I'm hoping this means I'm nearing the end of my treatment.

So, my question is, how long after you got your first elastic / rubberband, did your orthodontic treatment end (or is predicted to end)?
Upper Ceramics on July 20, 2005
Lower Metals on November 17, 2005
Estimated Treatment Time - 30+ months

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

It depends on how much movement is needed. I think my ortho told me that with 24/7 wearing you can expect about 1mm a month. Mine was about that time fram as I was in elastics for a 4.5mm Class II for 6 months.

It is usually done at the latter part of treatment, but not always. Some get elastics right from the start. What are your elastics being used for?
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

ladylee

#3 Post by ladylee »

Hi Linda, I was reading about your elastics. I was braced at the end of November and have had elastics since about the fifth week. I have a class II, but I think that at this point, they are using them to bring my center line over. Lucky for you that you seem to be at the end of treatment with yours.

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

Just echoing what has already been said. While for some people elastics do come towards the end of treatment, for some of us, they have been around for the entire thing.

I got braced in March of 2005, got elastics in April of 2005 and now it's February 2007, I'm soon to get the braces off and I STILL have elastics. I've had them the entire time, in varying configurations and strengths. It was just what was required for my particular situation.

I hope that in your case, it's the end though. I can see the end up ahead, and it looks sweet! 8)
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Just to echo what the others have said....

I got my elastics 6 months ago and hope to be finished May/June this year.

Nikkiekoala

#6 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I almost escaped elastics. I am really close to the end (next couple months if all goes well). At my last adjustment, last week, I got elastics for the first time. They are to close the spaces between my upper back teeth and lower. There is a picture on my blog: http://nikkiekoala.efx2.com/ of the gaps to be closed. I have the same gap on the other side but is much less and is now gone since getting elastics. Since taking those pictures those spaces are nearly gone! I go back March 8th, at that time I will be given a debanding date. Yahooooo!

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

broochie

#7 Post by broochie »

I got class 2 elastics 3 months after braces, had them for 3 months, then my ortho removed them when he put new wires on upper and lower teeth, but I know I'll be getting them again at some point.
So I second what others have said: it's different for everybody.

serendipity

#8 Post by serendipity »

I had my braces on for 12 months before I got elastics :) . I was told I was on the "home stretch" when I got them :D . I wore the elastics for about 6-8 weeks (can't remember) and then when I went back in after that time he said my braces were ready to come off. I get my braces off in 12 days (not that I'm counting or anything 8) ) so I will of been in braces for 15 months.

Hope that helps.

~serendipity~
"Welcome to wherever you are - this is your life, you've made it this far..."

In Braces for 15 months - Debanded Feb 07
Am I Enjoying It? "Hell Yes!"