Newbie here and am I glad I found you guys!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

-Michael-

Newbie here and am I glad I found you guys!!!

#1 Post by -Michael- »

Hi Everyone!

I'm male, 32 years of age, and I'm about to get braces! I couldn't take the fact that my teeth are crooked anymore. I want a perfect smile!

So I went to ortho today. I'm feeling apprehensive about being single, 32 and barely getting braces now in life. Plus, I teach at a CSU and have to lecture too so I am in front of people all the time!

The doc had this to say. I have narrow upper and lower jaws and I'm because of this, my rear teeth are mis-aligned and I'm grinding flat my rear teeth. Also I have crowding in upper and lower, but mostly lower.

He said I'll have to wear bands for about 6 months or so? Oh great!

The type of braces I'm getting are DAMON2/3's and they will cost 5.4k unless I pay up front, which would knock it down to about 5k, which I'll probably do. (his practice is in Fresno, CA).

My official DOD (Day of Depression) is March 6th. He estimates it will take about 2 years, but could be shorter or longer depending on my teeth reaction. I asked him if there was anything he could do to speed up the process regardless of any pain/discomfort (because that part I really don't care about) and he sort of chuckled at first and said that's not the way the process works unfortunately.

When I walked in there, I sat down with about 10 kids staring me down. Not one of them could have been older than 15! I'm not self-conscious at all, but damn, what is with the staring. Luckilly I still get the 'you can't be older than 25 comment' a lot so I find a little confort in that but I felt..um....OLD!

So all this apprehensiveness I built up over the course of today as led me here! I've looked all over the net and somehow FINALLY found this site and already I'm feeling a little better. So to whomever started this site, and to all those who are on here sharing experiences...THANK YOU!!!

Also, I'm into photography, so I plan to set up my camera and take a pic every week during the entire process. I want to see in Photoshop just how much teeth are moving and over what period of time! I'm going to become my own science experiment. Has anyone else done this?

Alright I'm through complaining. Thanks for listening.

-Michael-

ema27

#2 Post by ema27 »

hi there glad youv found this site it really is great for finding out all sorts of stuff and id recommend reading other peoples stories-very interesting and great to know your not the only one wearing braces as an adult.
Im 28 next and have had braces on for just under 2 weeks and due to have braces for1 year then lower jaw surgery then another year in braces.It is a little daunting but take one day at a time and remember why your doing this In 2 years time you will be so glad you did!
Good look with everything
EMA :P

JoviFan

#3 Post by JoviFan »

Welcome Michael!!! This is a great place for information, help, and sympathy ! :D :D
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Danielle

#4 Post by Danielle »

Hi and welcome... I've been braced since August and I take and keep photos after each adjustment (every month). You'll be amazed at just how quick everything starts to fall into place. And, don't look at it as a day of anything bad, because only (at least mostly) good things are to come!
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

ladylee

#5 Post by ladylee »

Hi Michael, it's always good hearing from new members. You think that preteens are obnoxious? Try them older, my son is 26 and a brat. He likes to eat things that I really love, but in no way can eat. Really, I think he just likes to pick on me for revenge of things I made him do for his own good when he was younger, he's really a nice guy. :)