can't speak properly

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

platinum

can't speak properly

#1 Post by platinum »

:(

I have to repeat myself everytime I speak with somebody. I keep on getting different coffees than I order. I tried to buy some soft Mexican food, the clerk did not understand what I wanted, so finally I had to show my order from the menu.

There has not been any improvement.

Danielle

#2 Post by Danielle »

The first couple of weeks I couldn't say my "F"s... I sounded like a little kid trying to learn how to talk... things will get better (it just seems like it takes forever to get to that "better"). Good luck.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

SimInsomniac

#3 Post by SimInsomniac »

Keep practicing to yourself platinum. Especially with sounds you particularly struggle with. It will improve with practice, you just have to remain patient and work at it, you'll be speaking properly again in no time! :D

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I have problems especially with S letter. I have been traning my S.
In three weeks I will be in a show. I can't possibly wear my retainer.
I am planning to stack a lot of wax on my teeth to prevent me to knock of lower brackets.

chicklets

#5 Post by chicklets »

Sorry to say, I still don't have the knack of speaking correctly after 3+ months in my expander. *D* words are the worst, and I always feel like I'm contorting my face and mouth to enunciate well enough for people to understand me. I definitely have to slow down, and that's really hard when participating in a conversation with multiple people. It's like everyone else is talking at a normal rate, and when the conversation turns to me, things slow way down and I'm twisting my face around. Anyone who does not know me must think I'm a little off. :roll: :wink:
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

dawnm

#6 Post by dawnm »

I'm having speech problems too. I also have turbos, so that makes it even worse!

I definitely think we hear ourselves worse than others do, as many people (even my Dad!) have told me that I sound fine.

What I'm doing is consciously speaking more slowly and enunciating better. I'm also speaking more at home where my family doesn't mind my slur and I'm singing to the radio, etc.

Honestly, I've already noticed my speech getting better. I think it's just a matter of working on it and being aware of your pronunciations.

Good luck!!!

Blonco

#7 Post by Blonco »

Do you have turbos? If so, it will take several weeks to get that "S" down. Right after I got my turbos and elastics, I had to do a camera interview for the base...it sucked.

iitsmandaOx

#8 Post by iitsmandaOx »

i just got braces monday, and my mom & a few friends notice i have a bit of a lisp, and say my "s" funny....i didn't notice it at first, but now im sooo self-consious about it...i hope it goes away!

LithpingLitha

#9 Post by LithpingLitha »

ITU how you feel.
Every time I get on the phone, I'm told that my voice is cutting out. :?
People don't realize there's nothing wrong with the line, I'm just lithping badly. :P
In person, I've had friends ask me to repeat myself just so they can get a chuckle out of the lisp. :roll:
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

camille

#10 Post by camille »

I know exactly what you mean.

I had an expander for a few months, and I couldn't say any words that had an "E" or "I" in them. I never had a lisp with the expander... boy am I happy that I don't have it anymore. When I got braces, I also got turbos. I had a lisp for about 5 minutes, then it went away :). Just try not to be self conscious about it, and speak a little bit slower than usual.

Also, thesaurisize the words you can't pronounce so you can avoid them :)

Don't worry, pretty soon you'll be able to pronounce almost anything.

Oh, and Google the Magic Passage (I think that's what it's called) and recite it a few times. It helps!

LithpingLitha

#11 Post by LithpingLitha »

Also, thesaurisize the words you can't pronounce so you can avoid them :)
:biglaf:
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story