Permanent retainer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

osubeanbags

Permanent retainer?

#1 Post by osubeanbags »

I had my final consulatation with the orthodontist yesterday, braces will go on Friday! I know it's quite a ways off, but he said after the braces come off he'll probably apply a permanent retainer ... I was just wondering if anybody else has one or has any input on them ... I think I'd rather have a removeable one, but then again I don't really know much about them haha.

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

This post would get better ansewered in the Brace Free Club listing under the retainer talk forgot what its called but its talk about retainers :)

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi OSU. I have a permanent retainer on my bottom front teeth. It actually attaches on the lower eye teeth, thus leaving the lower four front teeth free. I have a Hawley to wear on the top teeth. I asked for a Hawley for the lower ones too, but my orthodontist wouldn't give me one. He said they are bulky and people tend not to wear it.

It doesn't cause me any pain, although I do play with it with my tongue. I can and do floss those teeth - the orthodontist's assistant showed me how to pull the end of the floss around three teeth and when it popped out the back, to grab it and then floss the ones between the wire.

Good luck on your braces adventure.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

JoviFan

#4 Post by JoviFan »

I personall like the idea of permanent retainers...but I don't think my ortho uses them....becuz of 'cleaning issues'..... I guess it's a bit harder with the wire glued behind your teeth and they worry about you not flossing and causing damage that way......I have a long road yet --- only braced 1 week today, yipee!!!!!! time will tell in 18+ months where retainers are then :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

BracedBelle

#5 Post by BracedBelle »

Being completely uneducated about braces and retainers, I never thought to ask my ortho what his plans for retention are. I will remember to ask when I see him next, as I'm curious if he does permanent retainers or not.