spouse's b-day - nice things to do...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tommyfive

spouse's b-day - nice things to do...

#1 Post by tommyfive »

my wife is getting her braces on today, and for the first time, last night, she made it clear that she is very unhappy about it. not about the decision or the big picture, but about wearing braces (again). she's worried about how it will look and how comfortable she'll be. she wore braces in jr/sr high school so she's got some history with braces.

that's not going to stop her, but i'm working on welcoming her home this afternoon. here's what's in store:

* flowers
* words every wife/mother deserves from her husband
* homemade vegetable soup (thank you very much!)
* something sweet (she's a sucker for chocolate - maybe some fudge?)
* as much help with the kids as i can give her

any other ideas?

thanks
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

What a thoughtful husband you are, and I'm sure she will appreciate the effort you've gone to on her behalf.

I've racked my brains for other suggestions and come up with these.....

some mild OTC painkillers in your bathroom cabinet (just in case of any discomfort) ibuprofen is good
some salt in your kitchen cupboards (for warm salt rinses to help toughen her mouth up)
a nice glass of wine or her favourite tipple - always works for me!
whatever kind of gesture she usually enjoys to feel pampered and special - a nice bath and a foot rub works wonders when I'm feeling fed up

I'd be tempted to skip the fudge because that needs chewing. Chocolate is easier if you have tender teeth because you can just suck it and it will melt.

I'm sure that she will soon adjust to being a brace wearer, especially if she's already been there. But when you feel a bit low about doing something you you're not 100% happy about, a little boost can work wonders.

Ravishing

#3 Post by Ravishing »

Maybe ice cream instead of fudge? Something like Ben & Jerry's or Hagen Daz (sp?) would be good. My hubby got me Advil and ice cream when I had my extractions done.

I was actually a little sheepish about kissing my husband for the first time after getting my braces on. I don't know what your wife is like but maybe just plant one on her when she walks in the door!! That way you get that first kiss out of the way and let her know that she's still very much kissable.

Sounds like you have a wonderful evening planned. I'm sure your wife will appreciate everything you've done for her :-#)
[/url]
Was braced for all 9 months of my pregnancy and managed to keep fresh elastics on during all 26 hours of labor!!

florencegal

#4 Post by florencegal »

Aaw, this is the sweetest post ever - you're a great loving husband and your wife is lucky to be getting her braces AND coming home to you! :D

Like you already said, I would say more than any material things (which are lovely too as a bonus) she'll need to hear that she's just as beautiful as always, if not more so because she's such a strong woman to go through with something that she's finding hard.

And i ditto the advice about the kiss - I was nervous to kiss my boyf for the first time and he held back because he saw I was uncomfortable, when he really should just have gone for it! :wink:

You'll have a lovely evening I'm sure, enjoy a lovely time together!

x

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Blimey, where were you when I got my braces? My OH never did any of those things for me!!

I agree with the other posters about the choc fudge being a bit of a challenge, lovely as it is.

I think you've pretty much got things covered. What a nice chap you are!

Betty Bat

#6 Post by Betty Bat »

This may sound stupid, but ...
get her the best sonic toothbrush you can find. Now, there is a lot of debate about whether the Sonicare is better or the Oral-B is better, and I don't want to step into that. But, I found that I was really happy to get mine - I think it's a little easier on my mouth to brush with the sonic rather than a manual brush. My usual routine is electric brush after breakfast and dinner, manual brush after lunch and at bedtime. But, after my adjustments, I use only the electric brush for a day or two. It's just easier for me.

And, no, my husband did not buy me one - in fact, he is using mine now, at the recommendation of his dentist.

Delag

#7 Post by Delag »

Any chance you have a single brother? Just kidding :lol: How about a massage? Maybe one of those his and her deals where you get them together. Her teeth might be sore, but the rest of her will feel all nice and mellow :D

Elyse84

#8 Post by Elyse84 »

How lovely! I wish someone did something like that for me - after getting braces I just went straight to work and felt pretty miserable.

Sounds like you have every base covered...

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Tin Indian

#9 Post by Tin Indian »

:D :D :D I think I would draw a bubble bath up for my wife with some soft music and a nice long back rub!
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

eoberhauser

#10 Post by eoberhauser »

I second the nomination for the Sonicare. My boyfriend bought me one for my birthday (6 days before I was braced). I couldn't get by without it. It's practical, which I love. It's expensive though, and nothing I would ever buy myself.

Erin

Spidey

#11 Post by Spidey »

Fudge sounds a little difficult....

Try chocolate pudding. With some whipped cream. Yummmmmm

taylorhl25

#12 Post by taylorhl25 »

:oops: Ok I am a married woman BUT you sound soooo sweet, I am braced in 24 days and I hope my husband is half as thoughtful. . . good on you :)

tommyfive

#13 Post by tommyfive »

sorry i let this lag a bit. the rest of the week has been nuts!

thanks for all the input! i have adjusted my plans - forget fudge - ben and jerry's has some new organic flavors which have had her mouth watering. i know what to do...

our childcare plans fell through at the last minute that day, and so she could not make her appointment. her plans for the balance of the day, it turned out, were WAY too full, and she would have totally blown herself out and been miserable (IMHO) if the braces had gone on. luckily i had advance warning of the schedule (i was the one who called to cancel the appointment) and i was able to pull the plug before the wheels were set in motion!

now her appointment is for the 19th and i've got the whole weekend before that to get ready! i am definitely going to be ahead of things that day, and will let y'all know how it plays out.

it's too bad things fell through in a way as we had gone out on a VERY nice 'last dinner before braces' date, and this change has made that less of a milestone in some ways... (dinner was VERY nice though, and not to be forgotten!)

my appointment to get my braces has not been set yet, due to cashflow unknowns (tax return still needs to be done) and i get second chair because of the lower (non?) severity of my needs - nevertheless it will be soon (probably march) in order to take advantage of the ortho's courtesy discounts and flexibility with financing options for simultaneous treatment of family members... this one's not about me though; i'll tell my story in other threads when there's more to tell!

i'll update this thread when things change...

watch this space!

thanks
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

Braceschris

#14 Post by Braceschris »

To bad you could not get your braces at the same time as your wife. I bet you will both look good in braces. Now you can have contest as to who teeth move faster etc.

Chris

Braceschris

#15 Post by Braceschris »

Becarefull the first time you both kiss with braces. This group might have to come and help get you untangled.

Good Luck

Chris