Teeth Sensitivity

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tyrablu

Teeth Sensitivity

#1 Post by tyrablu »

Hi guys,

I have a problem ever since my adjustment yesterday my teeth have been very sensitive to the cold. I can't even rinse with cold water. This has never happened to me before. I dont know if this will wear off after a couple of days.

Is there anything that I can do. This is a pain. I dont want this to be permanent.

Thanks
TB

jmrut22

#2 Post by jmrut22 »

This just happen to me too!! I have had my elastics for exactly one week. Now on one tooth (the 3rd one back from the front on top) which is the one where the elastic hooks to, is extremely sensitive to cold water and air. I cant rinse in the mornings without using warm water. And it is 20 degrees here and I cannot open my mouth without that tooth hurting.
I hope this isnt permenant either. I made an appt to visit my dentist tomorrow to see what is going on, this cant be good.

Regina Rose

#3 Post by Regina Rose »

I developed a sensitivity problem with one of my canines a few weeks ago. It began as extreme sensitivity to cold - it was like the tooth was getting an electric shock. At first I wasn't too concerned because I've always had pain between adjustments, although not like that.

Eventually though it progressed to the point where it was sensitive to ANY temperature liquid and the slightest pressure. By that time I was totally convinced that I would need a root canal because no way could braces cause that much pain, right? Must be an abscess or irreversible nerve damage!

Well, as it turned out I was totally wrong. Orthodontic work can, at times, cause incredible pain (and I do mean PAIN, not discomfort) and my canine was just going through a period of hypersensitivity. After being reassured by my orthodontist, I upped the ibuprofen (which is an anti-inflammatory) and by the next day the pain was totally gone in that tooth.

joney

#4 Post by joney »

I went through a phase when I was sensitive to hot or cold drinks, which I never had in my pre-brace life. I have used sensodyne ever since and am happy to report that I have no sensitivity ever since.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)