Teeth Soreness Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

happytoday1

Teeth Soreness Question

#1 Post by happytoday1 »

I am 43 and I got my braces on in November 2006. My teeth still get very sore at times, top and bottom. My last ortho visit was about 4 weeks ago and they put some power trains on. My teeth were still sore at that point too and it felt like my teeth were being pulled when they were putting them on.

My question is, is this normal to have teeth still be so sore on and off? Even days after an ortho appt.? My next appt. is Monday and I can't hardly bare the thought of having my teeth messed with.

Thanks so much for your help.

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Sorry that your teeth are still sore. I also had my brace fitted in November but haven't really experienced much soreness. I think that the sensodyne toothpaste definitely helps. Everybody seems different, my eldest daughter had terrible soreness with her brace but my youngest daughter (and me) haven't really had any pain to speak of (yet! and never I hope!) I do get some tenderness from time to time however. I hope it eases up for you soon.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Regina Rose

#3 Post by Regina Rose »

happytoday1, your experience with braces sounds very similar to mine.

I got braces last March at the age of 50 (I'm one of those adult relapse cases) and have almost always had a fair amount of pain (that's PAIN, not discomfort) between adjustments (I've had powerchains since my first adjustment).

And yes, the pain comes and goes - in fact, sometimes it's actually worse a week or two after an adjustment than in the days immediately following the adjustment. Sometimes it's all my teeth, sometimes just one side, sometimes just an individual tooth. I've never found any logical pattern to it.

Fortunately I can tolerate ibuprofen very well and it has made all the difference for me. I take it not just for the pain between adjustments but also prior to adjustments because, like you, I find my teeth are sensitive even when the chains are taken off. Part of this, I think, is that most of the ortho assistants who do this just aren't that experienced; luckily for me my ortho almost always replaces them himself and he has great hands - makes all the difference! :D

Make sure you discuss your pain situation with your ortho - he or she may want to schedule your appointments at longer intervals to give your teeth more time to recover.

snaggletooth steve

#4 Post by snaggletooth steve »

35 here and very similar experieces to the others with random pain. Just this morning I was griping about the various teeth that hurt - and they were in no particular order. In my case the good news is that along with the pain has been a ton of movement. Right now I'm ok but for dinner I had hotdogs and it was impossible to bite them with my front teeth.

I just had an adjustment a week ago... so i'm worse than usual.

steve

happytoday1

#5 Post by happytoday1 »

Thank you for your replies. I will speak to my ortho. I have told them I am sore everytime I go but they don't say too much, but I am really going to make a point this time.

Thanks,