First Extraction

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sultanatoman

First Extraction

#1 Post by sultanatoman »

I had my first of four bicuspid extractions done on Feb. 1. I have a gentle ortho - he numbed my gum first with gel, then I had the numbing injections. I didn't really feel pain from the injection, but it felt weird - I didn't even feel the needle go in! It was the fluid from the shot that could be felt going in.

I have to say my tooth was firmly planted because he kept swaying back and forth. I could hear a sort of crunch, but felt absolutely no pain. I do know that I let out a deep sigh when he finally got the thing out. It was just a feeling of pressure.

He then placed cotton wrapped in gauze on the tooth and told me to bite down. I was given an RX for antibiotics and told to take some ibuprofen or panadol (like tylenol) for pain.

At the pharmacy, I started getting achy. I got home and rested for a few hours and noticed the pain was steadily getting stronger. I didn't sleep so well and woke up a few times from the pain. I woke up the following morning without the packing, so I swallowed it in my sleep! :shock:

Two days later, I just couldn't tolerate the pain and went to the ortho again. I was worried I had dry socket, but he said that the clot was still in tact and it looked like things were moving along nicely. He gave an RX for cataflam 50 mg, packed the hole with medication that looked brown and was told to see him again in two days. By the way, I could tolerate him packing the hole - it hurt, but I managed.

Yesterday, I went back for the follow-up and at this point I still had pain, but it slowly decreased. I was able to not take any pain meds at this point, and he flushed out the gum and packed more medication in it - even moreso than he did before. He determined that while the clot was still intact, some of it may have came loose and is causing the pain.

Today, I still have the packing (he must have packed it to my toes!), and from a scale 1-10 (10 being the worst), I'd have to say my pain is at a 3 or 4. Totally tolerable and not constant.

I was supposed to have the second tooth pulled tomorrow, but the dentist pushed the appointment back until Feb 14 :rose: to give me time to completely heal! He was even considerate enough to ask if I'd like to have it done on a different day so I could celebrate the holiday. While it may seem crazy to some, I'm going to milk this for all I can get! :lol: Surely, my husband will baby me out of pity!

I don't want to scare anyone who will have extractions - I just thought I would record what I've gone through so far. It's really not that bad - make sure you eat something before you do go though. I didn't and I had to drink some glucose water before the procedure began. Again, my ortho is great - he asked if I had eaten before and was really concerned when he found out I hadn't.

Only thing is that I feel totally weird because my bottom arch has only half of an arch wire now. He snipped it where it went over the bicuspids are to my molars!

plsandiego

#2 Post by plsandiego »

extractions can be a pain. luckily my 2 are going to be baby teeth that are capped.. + 2 wisdom teeth @ the end... but at the end :)

I had 2 upper wisdom teeth DUG out of my gums when i was 22 (28 now) due to crowding (why do i have braces now?? :)) and i still have them. I am going to make a necklace of wisdom teeth. How many people with/or had braces still have them?? That is a good question.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I've got 3 out of 4 wisdom teeth. Two came up fine, the third has been impacted for the past 35 years.

sultanatoman

#4 Post by sultanatoman »

Todays update: much better.

I have an ortho / oral surgeon / dentist. How cool is that?!?

I hope that the next three will be much easier...