How long after braces are put on?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gramsinbraces

How long after braces are put on?

#1 Post by gramsinbraces »

I have my top braces put on Feb. 13th @ 1:30 pm, I just relized my husband and I have supper plans with friends that night. Will I be able to go? Not sure how long after the braces are put on that you are allowed to eat or drink?
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

Nikkiekoala

#2 Post by Nikkiekoala »

You can eat or drink right after. The question is will you want to?

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

samantha_lou

#3 Post by samantha_lou »

My husband actually took me straight from my banding appointment to the Olive Garden for dinner! Eating was a little slower than normal, but my teeth didn't really notice the new hardware until the following day!
I do reccomend a dentakit or something similar, as you will want to clean up after supper.

Good luck!

luxekitty

#4 Post by luxekitty »

Each time I was braced (inital and when they finally bracketed some remaining teeth) I was told not to eat or drink for 4 hours. :)
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ema27

#5 Post by ema27 »

Hi you can eat straight away-thats what my dentist told me.The main problem iv had is not actually eating but keeping it off my braces there is nothing worse than half way through a conversation realising you have 3/4 of your dinner stuck on your brace!!
remember to take a tooth brush where ever you go-it will be your new best friend after eating!!!!!
all the best :P

gramsinbraces

#6 Post by gramsinbraces »

LOL ALL, thanks so much,,it's a birthday supper with friends , and we wanted to go for Marguerita's and tacos,,guess I better stick with the soft shells,,,and I do have my dental kit in purse because of my expander, so I should be ready to go. I will also get me a little mirror. Thanks to all.
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

Betty Bat

#7 Post by Betty Bat »

I found that chewing and biting just felt a little different after I got my braces - especially biting into things. A few days after I got my braces, I went to a very fancy ocean party and the only trouble I had was when I put a rather large hors d'oeuvre in my mouth, then couldn't figure out how to chew it!

So, my caution is - the definition of "bite-size" might change, so watch out!