Weak Chin and effects of reducing overjet?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

franco

Weak Chin and effects of reducing overjet?

#1 Post by franco »

I am thinking of getting braces for my upper arch and am trying to anticipate how this might make the rest of my face look different, if at all. From searching the forums it seems that this can make a weak jawline look slightly better, but would this also change the way my nose looks in relation to the rest of my face?

I have had surgery on my nose in the past and my concern is if the upper teeth are pulled back then my upper lip will come further back towards my face, which will have the effect of making my nose look bigger?

franco

#2 Post by franco »

I'm in the UK. Most consultations here are not free, but I was not charged for the one I had on the national health system here. Unfortunately I was refused treatment and I did not have this question on my mind at that time.

He told me I did not really need the lower arch done. I will only need the overjet dealt with really.

I have never heard of any lower jaw surgery apart from a chin implant, which I don't want. I wonder if part of my weak chin issue is caused by my overjet making the lower jaw look weaker. In that case the only issue would be if my nose would be made to look bigger from the side after having the overjet fixed.

franco

#3 Post by franco »

Wow, that's a big difference. My question to you then is did you notice a big difference to how your top lip (mouth area) looked from a side profile after your overjet was pulled in??

I believe I am at least 6mm overjet, possibly 7mm. The shape is pretty much a U shape. I have gaps between my teeth, but no other issues apart from the overjet.

franco

#4 Post by franco »

Of course. It isn't possible to see the finished article until the braces are off. I forgot to ask you what your overjet was beforehand, although it doesn't look like much from your photos. I took a photo of my side profile last night, and the overjet looked worse than I thought.

franco

#5 Post by franco »

Yeah, it looks about the same as my overjet is now. I keep meaning to ask someone how they manage to take those photos of the individual arches; I know if I try that I'll choke on my camera.

I'll read the other 11 pages of your story tomorrow :wink: