Braces and speaking

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ives

Braces and speaking

#1 Post by Ives »

Hey all,
Does braces change the way you speak at all. My job requires me to speak over a 2 way handi talkie all day. Might be tough if im lisping all day or slobbering all over the radio. Getting ceramics top and bottom.

Ives

Ives

#2 Post by Ives »

Thanks Meryaten,
Hope thats the case or i'm in for alot of _____ at work.

Ives

dawnm

#3 Post by dawnm »

I find myself lisping, but I think it's more from the bite turbos.

You'll adjust really quickly... and everyone tells me that it's really not that bad. I'm on the phone a lot at work and most poeple don't even notice.... well, at least they don't say anything about it!

Kat

#4 Post by Kat »

I've noticed I've become a bit lispy now and I don't like it but what can you do?

osubeanbags

#5 Post by osubeanbags »

I got mine on about 8 hours ago (metals, top and bottom) ... I've noticed a very slight lisp, barely noticeable at all though.

LithpingLitha

#6 Post by LithpingLitha »

My uppers were braced on Monday and I got a lower gelb splint.
I'm very lithpy! :P Most of my lisp is from the gelb. :crazy:

Ives

#7 Post by Ives »

Man , im in alot of trouble if my speech changes much. I work at a University and we have about 200 radios all on the same frequency. When I call out to someone , everyone heres me. Should be interesting. Oh well, hopefully nothing will change.

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

I find that when I have to talk alot, it helps if I talk a bit slower. For some reason, when I have to talk alot, I begin to feel the braces rub against the inside of my cheeks and inside of my lips, not sure why. To solve that, I just talk a bit slower and I do find that it helps my speech too.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Pepper

#9 Post by Pepper »

I've always had some minor speech problems (mostly stuttering), so I hardly even noticed a difference. I guess I lisp a bit more now, but it's not a big deal.