Who should I believe?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

timsmith

Who should I believe?

#1 Post by timsmith »

Hi Folks,

I am 48 and have finally made the decision to get my teeth fixed, basic problem is a significant overbite and gappy front teeth at the top. Braces were mentioned when I was 9 but the subject never came up again!

The first ortho I visited indicated that surgery would be required to extend the lower jaw, routine these days apparantly, braces top and bottom to line everything up. Plan would be initial records, 5 weeks to analyse, top brace, 6 weeks later bottom brace, surgery after 6 months from the start, 6 months to finish, bonded retainers. Wow that is quick! He planned to use canadian made speed braces, similar to damon but without the hype!

Second ortho, basically same overall plan, confirmed surgery, spent a long time looking at the condition of my gums, indicated that a couple of roots were close to the gumline and should be looked at first. Brace time much longer, 2 years total, recommended Insignia because it would be quicker and she was only one of 3 ortho's in Quebec to be certified.

My dentist thinks that my teeth are really quite well aligned except for the overbite and did not seem too surprised by the initial time period of 1 year.

Any thoughts, and by the way the second estimate was about $1K more expensive than the first.

Having made a decision to have braces was one big step, I hope the choice of ortho does not become a huge step as well!

I have a third consultation next Tuesday, I wonder what this guy will say??

Tim

manglemouth

#2 Post by manglemouth »

Hard to say when you get such different opinions. I had the same problem, which is why I had 4 consultations overall. 2 of the ortho's had the same opinion, and out of those two I picked the one I liked better on a personal level - meaning his staff, the ortho himself, the whole experience during my consultations.

Good luck! It really isn't that easy to choose sometimes, I know all about it!

timsmith

#3 Post by timsmith »

To all of the above, thanks for the responses, especially for the link to the actual surgery procedure, very graphic! - good job they put you to sleep!!

Going for the gut feel is what I will do, so far, both of the ortho's were easy to speak to, explained things well and answered all my questions. I am a little skeptical about the Insgnia, seems to me the computer software does all the thinking and the ortho just approves. If the software is really good, the ortho is out of a job, especially as each bracket comes with a jig for exact positioning prior to bonding.

I'll let you all know what the 3rd consultation reveals. Problem here in Canada is that not all consultations are free, the first and third are free, the second was $50 which was good value since the consultation lasted about 40 minutes or so.

Thanks again,

Tim

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Timsmith. I agree with others, but wanted to add a comment about the observation that you had a couple of roots that were close to the service. Before you start your orthodontia, you might want to get those checked out by a periodontist. I had "7" that were close to the surface. Had I started braces with them the way they were, I would have lost the needed support around those roots and could have possibly lost those teeth. To fix the problem, they take a skin graft from the roof of your mouth and attach it over the roots in question. Not pain free, but definately managable with OTC meds - at least that is all I used. It was done with a local, so I was able to drive myself to the appointments. (I had to have mine done in two stages).

Good luck to you throughout your journey.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

timsmith

#5 Post by timsmith »

More good advice, you guy's are great.

If I understand Attagirl correctly, the peridontal work should be done first, it it just more difficult or impossible after braces are fitted?

If the third consultation adds further conflict then I'll try a fourth. It is interesting to see that they are all quite busy, the ortho that treated my kids could not even do a consult until August, her receptionist directed me to the second consultation saying that this is where my kids ortho would send more complicated cases. I guess that is a good reccomendation in itself?

Tim

CanehdianGal

#6 Post by CanehdianGal »

"I'll let you all know what the 3rd consultation reveals. Problem here in Canada is that not all consultations are free, the first and third are free, the second was $50 which was good value since the consultation lasted about 40 minutes or so. "

Hi Tim,
I'm also from Canada and spent over $300 on 4 consults. I'm assuming you might have insurance which would explain the first and 3rd visits.

My ortho put me in Damon3m <something>.

BracedBelle

#7 Post by BracedBelle »

I guess it differs by province or city... I'm in Ontario and I had multiple consults, all free.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

timsmith

#8 Post by timsmith »

Hi Folks,

Just got back from my 3rd consult with an ortho that teaches at University of Montreal. He had much more to say about my teeth than the other 2 consults including how a missing adult tooth on my lower arch has really screwed things up. Seems like I will have to lose a couple of teeth to allow space to even up my bite, none of the other guy's talked about this. Everything he said made sense to me and he was a really nice guy to boot. He and his partner have over 80 years combined experience and he indicated that his partner was actually more experienced in surgical cases. He did offer a non surgical half way approach but it was the same deal regarding braces and extractions. He said that both treatments start out the same way so the surgical decision does not have to be made up front.

He does not buy into the Insignia deal of custom brackets and jigs, apparantly he has quite a reputation at the dental school for having students remove badly placed brackets so that they really learn the proper techniques!

I have made an appointment with him next Tuesday for records

Wish me luck,

Tim