How to remove the little dots on your brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracesat35

How to remove the little dots on your brackets

#1 Post by bracesat35 »

Hi there, I had those little dots on some of my brackets when my braces were put on. The ortho said they would come off from brushing. Well, after several days they were still there. I didn't like them so I figured out how to remove them.

- sterilize a needle or pin or safety pin, you get the idea
- very very very carefully scrape the tip of the needle on the dot. The dots are recessed, so this is not as hard as it sounds
- no more dots!

Okay it's not rocket science, but I was so happy with the result that I thought I'd share. :D

LithpingLitha

#2 Post by LithpingLitha »

That sounds like much to go through. :o
Mine came off the first time I brushed.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Most of mine have gone, but I still have ONE on my lower arch which has been there 6 months!

joney

#4 Post by joney »

One of mine is still there and I promise I do brush!
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

bracesat35

#5 Post by bracesat35 »

I brushed a lot and they didn't budge. Once I realized they were recessed so much though I was sure they would have taken a while to go on their own!

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

That does sound like a lot of work. Mine come off after a while but then everytime I go to the ortho I get at least one or two new brackets and the dots are back. I don't pay any attention to them. Right now I have so many rubber bands you couldn't possibly notice a little dot.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

manglemouth

#7 Post by manglemouth »

Apparently I am the only one who has no idea what this topic is all about :wink: What "dots" on braces? I am trying to imagine it but I can't...is it like the metal not being perfectly smooth or something?

WHAT DOTS?? :lol:

samantha_lou

#8 Post by samantha_lou »

Apparently mine had little coloured dots on them, but I can't say that once the braces were on I ever noticed them - but my ortho said that they'd brush off within a day or two.

Nawners

#9 Post by Nawners »

I hope I have colored dots on mine...
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

Katica

#10 Post by Katica »

Mine have coloured dots, but I didn't know that they were supposed to come off! Mine are recessed so deeply though, that even if the dots were gone, there'd still be little "holes" in my brackets.

They're so tiny though that so far, no one has mentioned a thing about them. I'm pretty sure you can't see them unless you're looking really closely at them...and people generally don't get their eyes that close to my mouth :wink:

bracesat35

#11 Post by bracesat35 »

I guess none of you will be surprised to hear that my first set of ligs was smoke. Yes, I wanted no color and for everything to blend in with the metal. So I didn't like the dots, even though I was the only one who could see them.

Well that was then and this is now. I've since looked at tons of lig color pics from you folks and I'm building the courage to choose some color at my first adjustment. I'm thinking something blue!!

Kodius Champion

#12 Post by Kodius Champion »

I don't ever remember having any dots on mine! I'm assuming this is what you mean, though: