Crooked bracket on tooth...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

Crooked bracket on tooth...?

#1 Post by Kat »

Two adjustments ago a bracket on my front top tooth came off while replacing the ligs. The assistant put another bracket (Clear) on the tooth and when I got home I noticed it being crooked.
I said something at the last appointment to the assistant then to the ortho both said it was straight and that my tooth was crooked.
Well last appointment I said something again for the assistant to looka t this bracket she agreed that it was a bit crooked on the teeth. She said maybe the ortho wanted it on this was... :shock: and that the ortho always checkes everything before perm. placing, well she just glued that sucker on without the ortho looking at it first. Anyway, now looking at my tooth I have a gap between the two top teeth that I can suck a lot of air through-way more than before.
I know this bracket it not straight, am I over thinking this does it matter?
I will say something to the ortho again at the next appointment but I don't want to be a complainer if it's nothing to worry about. I can't post pics darn.

BracedBelle

#2 Post by BracedBelle »

I can relate. I have 2 brackets that are slightly crooked, and they've started to cause my teeth to tip a bit, which really annoys me because they are front teeth and it's noticeable that they are crooked. I asked my ortho about it recently and he said it's common, as the brackets have to be handplaced and they can't always be 100% perfect. He said that any tipped teeth will be fixed during "finishing".

It bothers me that I'll have to deal with this for another year or more until I get to the finishing stage. Ugh.

Kat

#3 Post by Kat »

HA! I totally hear you, I don't want to go through this whole two year process this way either. My feelings are straighten them now. Part of the waiting time here is so the teeth can settle in their new positions isn't it???
It's really crrappy I tell ya.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Brackets can and do get removed and replaced during treatment. It may be that both your orthos want these brackets in a particular place until their job is done. Try to be patient, it will all work out in the end.

Mmmmuuaa

#5 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

On my last appointent my Ortho removed a bracket and had his assistant put it back on. It looks a bit off as well, but that tooth was off, so I figure it makes sense to straighten the angle that tooth is at. It doesn't seem like a big deal to remove a bracket and change the position, it only takes a minute, so maybe if you explain that it really bothers you they'd be willing to move it.

jmpmntwnty3

#6 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

I have the same problem Kat. A bracket came off when the asst. was removing my bottom archwire and he had to replace it, and now it's crooked...
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

Kat

#7 Post by Kat »

Yeah, my bracket came off as well and she just slapped one on glueing my two teeth together at the same time :x . I'll say something about it agin to the ortho but again he is the one that looked at it after I mentioned it and said that my tooth was crooked...this bracket it way different than before and now the tooth is moving the wrong way, maybe now the ortho can see it. I am paying for a good eye as well.

LuckyOne

#8 Post by LuckyOne »

Kat et al,

If it is not right I think you should definitely get it right. I think you should tell the ortho what happened and ask him/her to take a careful look and explain to you in some detail what is happening AND the plan for the future. I don't think it is acceptable to have it "not quite right" when it seems (and seems is a key word) so simple to "make it right." You should not be afraid to ask that they make an adjustment (it is a good idea to first ask if there is any reason for not making the adjustment). You might ask how they tell if a bracket is on straight. Get a specific explanation for the bracket that looks crooked. If you are still not quite satisfied, explain why it looks crooked to you and see what they say. The trick is to do all this in a manner that isn't insulting to the ortho (I don't think it is a good idea to have them irritated with you). At the same time you should be comfortable with what you see and hear. When all your work is done, there is no reason why you should not only have a healthier mouth but also one that looks as close to perfect as is reasonably possible.

Good Luck!