Bands vs. Direct Bond

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

-Michael-

Bands vs. Direct Bond

#1 Post by -Michael- »

Hi all,

I get my braces on March 6th. DAMON 3's are the bracket types.

I called today to find out whether or not they are going to use spacers in my mouth, such as those I see many people around here have.

The front desk girl told me they are either going straight to band, because there is enough room, or they are going to do a direct bond.

What is the difference in the two? Band is obviously a metal band that goes tightly around your tooth, but what about direct bond? Any preferences for which is better/more confortable/less painful?

Thanks,
Michael

-Michael-

#2 Post by -Michael- »

Thank you for the information! The direct bond looks like it would be much more comfortable than a band that is tightly squeezed onto the tooth. Very cool. I hope they do indeed go with this kind.

I would think they are going to, because the girl said I wasn't scheduled for spacers, and looking at my teeth, there is no way they could get a band on my back teeth. I can barely get floss in between them because they are so tight together.

I'm finding a lot of information goes a long way to creating a comfort level about this whole deal. I wish March 6th was here already.

Michael

-Michael-

#3 Post by -Michael- »

To be honest, I'm not sure what I was talking about :lol:

I wish the front desk girl was a bit more clear, but it sounds like the sheet she had didn't specify exactly for my first appointment, other than spacers were specifically not listed and she said if I was getting spacers, they would definitely be listed.

Direct bond sounds like a more comfortable way to go as long as they don't pop off! They must have some seriously good adhesive on those to take the abuse of being in the mouth 24/7.

The pic posted above of the bracket...what is the little knob for? I'm guessing to stick something over it?

Thanks,
Michael

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

-Michael- wrote:
The pic posted above of the bracket...what is the little knob for? I'm guessing to stick something over it?
Elastics. It's a standard feature on some brackets, so you're not necessarily guaranteed to wear elastics in your treatment. But a lot of us do.

SecondTimer

#5 Post by SecondTimer »

I have bands on my first molars and bonded tubes on my second molars. The bonded tubes are definately more comfortable. There's nothing on inside surface of the tooth, and they're much lower profile.

jmpmntwnty3

#6 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

I have molar bands on the bottom, and the "direct bond" bracket on the top where my expander's bands used to be. The direct bond is a lot more comfortable ... A LOT. I wish I had one on the bottom too, lol.
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

LuckyOne

#7 Post by LuckyOne »

Hey Michael,

I suggest you talk to the doctor directly and ask specifically what he has planned and when. On my first trip after the consultation I thought I was getting braces. Instead I got spacers to make room for the molar bands (I know that by hind sight - no real explanation was given). The second trip I thought I was getting braces, instead I got molar bands. On the third trip I got the braces with a very flexible archwire (doesn't really seem like it is doing much, but he assures me it has a purpose). Each time I have tried to get him to explain what is going on. I asked him for a detailed plan, but I haven't gotten one. I suggest you ask him what he hopes to accomplish with each tooth for each archwire he uses (this is what I plan to do) - or call and tell the receptionist you would like for the doctor to give you this information on your next visit. Depending on how much correction you need, he/she may not be able to give you a complete picture all the way to the end. But they should be able to give you a lot of details about the next several months.

Communication really is key. My doctor was educated at some prominent schools, has some local recognition, and appears quite busy. So in the beginning I trusted him without pressing matters, but I am starting to want some explanations.

Good Luck!

P.S. It is a good idea to know exactly what to expect following your next visit. You may need to make some changes - like what you eat. Don't be afraid to get clarification.

Jembrace

#8 Post by Jembrace »

My orthodontist put bands around my crowns to protect them. On the molars without crowns, he put the brackets directly on my teeth. it's a matter of personal preference, varies among orthos. My molar brackets have the hooks, my ortho says those are for future elastics.

As for the wires, they're very flexible at room temperature. When in the mouth, though, the higher temperature causes the wires to become stiffer and to want to straighten themselves out. That process is what causes the teeth to be repositioned.

The more you're on this board, the more you'll learn about braces. My ortho isn't real talkative, but I did manage to speak a bit with him today. He's quite interested in what I've learned by being in this forum. :)

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues