I've made a big decision....help me follow it through! PICS

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SapphireJen

I've made a big decision....help me follow it through! PICS

#1 Post by SapphireJen »

Hi there,

I was braced Mar 2006 - so it has almost been a year and my teeth have straightened out very well.

The problem is I have a overjet that has been made worse in the that time, so finally, even thought I thought I'd never say these words....

I have decided to have my four bicuspids extracted <CRY> This will apparently lengthen my treatment by approx a year.

I figure that I only have one chance to get this right, and my teeth are so huge anyway, I'm sure I won't notice a few gone once the gaps have closed.

A few questions -

1. I am dreading the extraction gaps. I have a very wide smile, so I'm sure my gaps will be more noticeable. Do you think this is possible?

2. Also with powerchains, anything you can do to avoid staining. I have wire ties at the moment, is there anything that is equivalent?

3. What changes can I expect to my profile?

Anyway have added some photos - these helped me make my decision.

Front front - not so noticeable in pics

Normal smile from side

With lips pulled back - hideous!!

Thanks in advance for your support!

Kat

#2 Post by Kat »

Just a laymen speaking here but I think you are making the correct move.
I think from what I've seen in the past the extractions you won't have a problem with the gaps.
You know powerchains...clear or color ligs I would dread that color choice as well, I did hear a lady talking to the ortho about this same matter (She had her teeth extracted already) and he said he could rig up a couple springs and wires so she didn't have to use the powerchains. I guess he figured in her case all would be well.
Face changes, I would think not to much, my teeth are bucking/flaring out at the moment so they could place the bottom brackets and the only difference that I have because of this reason is my lips seem to have the pouty look a bit. Look like from your pics you have nice full lips and something tells me all will be great in the end for you with your decision.
You're on the right track.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Your teeth do look nice but I can see what you mean about the flaring. As you say your teeth look quite big so even with extractions you should still have a wide smile but without the overjet.

I would think that the front teeth should move back quite quickly to help minimise the extraction gaps once they have space to move, so hopefully you won't have big gaps for too long.

Good luck with it.

nimo

#4 Post by nimo »

The thing about extraction gaps is that it's not the same as when you don't have braces and you have these huge holes in your mouth. People see your braces, and they know those gaps are there for a reason. Sure, they're not pleasant to have (I had two huge gaps, and now I'm down to one), but I find they're easier to deal with than my previously obnoxiously screwed up smile.
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Pirate Wench

#5 Post by Pirate Wench »

WOW....you made a huge decision! If your ortho has been included in the decision, then I think you have made the right one. Once your gaps are closed then the ortho will be able to work on your over jet. The extractions will give your ortho enough room to work everything.

I think the only profile difference will be a flatter look to your lips because your teeth push them out a bit now.

Good luck....

wmastin

#6 Post by wmastin »

nimo wrote:The thing about extraction gaps is that it's not the same as when you don't have braces and you have these huge holes in your mouth. People see your braces, and they know those gaps are there for a reason. Sure, they're not pleasant to have (I had two huge gaps, and now I'm down to one), but I find they're easier to deal with than my previously obnoxiously screwed up smile.
Nodding in total agreement!

I had one tooth (#5 I think) pulled prior to braces due to a fracture. Braces partially went on, then I pulled the corresponding tooth on the other side. One week afterwards, they finished bracing the top and added power chains across the gaps. They really don't jump out at you like they would if you weren't in braces.

Natalie

#7 Post by Natalie »

i have to agree with nimo about the gaps without braces thing too. i had 4 extractions before my braces were put on because i was supposed to wear a removable appliance first. i hated having the gaps but i managed to speak and smile in a way that no one really noticed them, even my new boyfriend didn't notice for MONTHS and then he only noticed a gap at the bottom because i was sticking my tongue in it (don't ask haha). when i got the braces on i became much less self concious becaue like has already been said - if anyone notices the gaps they're obviously there for a reason. since i got my braces i started to smile much wider than before because i wasn't stressing about peope thinking i had teeth missing. the funny thing is though since this time i have noticed (or people have pointed out) other people with gaps that i would never have even noticed anyway if i wasn't so teeth obsessed now! :)

storker

#8 Post by storker »

you're making a BIG mistake. no question. long term, bicuspid extractions have a very negative impact on facial aesthetics and structural stability. there is more and more collaboration between orthodontists, osteopaths and chiropractors in managing the fallout from these type of extractions. by that i mean, neck pain, back pain, headaches, breathing problems and relapse over time that looks really bad. additionally, more information is pointing to the importance of having all of your teeth and good health. some orthodontists are even re-opening the gaps and putting in implants in order to resolve the chronic problems that can come from extractions!

my recommendation is to get a second, third or even fourth opinion; or until you find an ortho who can fix your problem without pulling teeth. bicuspid amputation is a very backward and out-of-date intervention!!!!!

look at the video on the damonbraces.com website that shows some of the problems from these conventional techniques.

SapphireJen

#9 Post by SapphireJen »

To everyone that replied - thanks for your advice and support.

I just want to say that I definitely did not make this decision on my own, it was guided my ortho. I would also like to add that all the orthos I went to (four of them) recommended extractions and only one dentist (without orthodontic qualifications) told me not to have extractions.

Storker, would like to know whether you are talking from past experience?
I would be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced any of these side affects that you mention?

MsViola

#10 Post by MsViola »

Good luck sapphire. I think your smile looks great!! I hope everything works out for you. I will be watching to see how it turns out. I am going to be in the same position eventually and I don't know what to do. We are playing the "wait and see" game. As of today, if my teeth looked as good as yours when it comes my time I would ask the Ortho to do the best he could with the remainder of my overjet (it doesn't look hideous to me) and keep my teeth. Of course, I may change my mind as things go along. I just have a phobia of pulling teeth. I have just now consented to let them remove my wisdom teeth because 3 are impacted. Keep us posted.

Take care!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

MsViola

Ooops!

#11 Post by MsViola »

Please excuse the double post!
Last edited by MsViola on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

MsViola

Double Ooops! Sorry for the triple post

#12 Post by MsViola »

:D

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#13 Post by nahky »

quote"storker"you're making a BIG mistake. no question. long term, bicuspid extractions have a very negative impact on facial aesthetics and structural stability. there is more and more collaboration between orthodontists, osteopaths and chiropractors in managing the fallout from these type of extractions. by that i mean, neck pain, back pain, headaches, breathing problems and relapse over time that looks really bad. additionally, more information is pointing to the importance of having all of your teeth and good health. some orthodontists are even re-opening the gaps and putting in implants in order to resolve the chronic problems that can come from extractions!

my recommendation is to get a second, third or even fourth opinion; or until you find an ortho who can fix your problem without pulling teeth. bicuspid amputation is a very backward and out-of-date intervention!!

Am I the only one that find this post from storker a tad odd? First post, joined today, and making big alarming statements. Anyways...

I commend you on taking on the steps to getting exactly what you want Jen. As everyone has said, your smile is looking awesome.

I remember i used to have teeth that flared out. The braces has really helped. several months of or years of braces for a lifetime of perfect smiles/teeth/bite, definately worth it.

You have nicely shaped teeth, it'll look good.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

ellebee

#14 Post by ellebee »

Have you considered tooth shaping? If your teeth are made slightly narrower your flaring could be reduced.

I think you look fine as is. Who pulls back their lips that much?

If you have bicuspids removed, will your bite become off and will your top teeth clear your lowers?

Good luck whatever you decide.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

platinum

#15 Post by platinum »

Your teeth look very nice!
I would not remove any teeth and continue treatment....
I have read stories about gaps opening in other forums., Propably too much as I am not going to let anybody to extract healthy teeth!