Advice on my b-day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NikkiB

Advice on my b-day

#1 Post by NikkiB »

Hello all! I'm new here, well sort of, I have been "lurking" for a bit. Anyways, I want to commend you all for being so supportive. Second, I'm in need of some advice. I just had my braces put on today, full ceramic top and full metal mini bottom. Now, I am in intense pain and feeling more pressure than I have ever felt. More pressure than the eight spacers. Can anyone give me some advice or provide me with a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm starting to regret my decision as I cried when I looked in the mirror right after having them put on. The tears were more or less due to my shock as I do not feel even half as confident as I did prior to getting them on, it feels like a horrible throw back to when I was 12. Help?! And, a huge than you for any advice.

st pictures within the next day or so when I can figure out how. :shock:

NikkiB

#2 Post by NikkiB »

Thank you for the encouragement, I would love to be able to chew right now, however, a tooth needs to be extracted as it is a baby tooth and the adult tooth came down in front in the wrong spot right next to my right front tooth. They did not bracket the tooth to be extracted so it hits the bottom bracket preventing me from biting down at all. It is only more motivation to have it extracted as the timeline was to have it done within the next 3 months.

I had braces when I was younger for 4 years, but I never had full braces, only four on top.

I have done the salt rinses since I had my spacers placed in and I have been popping Ibuprofin just as soon as the earlier dose has worn off. The only down side is that I'm supposed to go out for an amazing dinner tomorrow night. Think the will puree it if I ask? :wink:

:( It will get better, it has to.

NikkiB

#3 Post by NikkiB »

Accidental Repost
Last edited by NikkiB on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NikkiB

#4 Post by NikkiB »

accidential repost

Jenny5

#5 Post by Jenny5 »

Sorry to hear that your first few days aren't going well, but hang in there! Try to stay focused on the big picture and how it will all be worth it. When I see all of the before and after (or before and during) pictures on this site, it really keeps me motivated. Everyone's teeth look amazing and yours will too! I can't say how long it will take before you feel more comfortable, but one thing is for sure -- you will get used to it soon.

As for the tooth that's hitting the bottom bracket, you might want to mention it to your orthodontist. I had the same issue when I got my braces on last week and she was able to grind the bracket down enough so that my tooth wasn't hitting it anymore. She said that your teeth should never be hitting brackets like that. I guess it would be hard on your braces (not to mention your bite).

Good luck and remember to keep your eye on the prize!

NikkiB

Day 2

#6 Post by NikkiB »

Well, the pressure is not nearly as bad today, however, my right front tooth and right back molar have waged an all out war against me in an effort to convey their unhappiness. I just hope I win.

I have been doing my warm salt rinses and applied the wax at night. The only problem is that I am self-conscious about them at work and have restrained from putting the wax on while at work.

Since today is Valentine's Day, our company is having a pasta-potluck. Me, being a dummy, did not think about the fact that tomato sauce would stain. :shock: I knew curry, coffee, red wine, and mustard would, however, I did not even take tomato sauce into consideration, that and the fact that spaghetti noodles are not as easy to eat as one would assume. Maybe I am being hypercritical, but I think my ligs may be slightly tinged although I bused as soon as I realized my error. Does anyone know if Baking Soda would work to remove the stain as it does with red wine?

Thanks for the support all!