People who wear elastics in here please...question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kat

People who wear elastics in here please...question

#1 Post by Kat »

First day in these elastics. They already hurt but here is my question.

Do you ever hit/scrape your tops and bottoms together now?
We are fixing my overbite and I have some of the blue bonding on my back molars to keep my bite opened a bit but I am touching my tops to my bottoms at times.

his scares the hell out of me becase I don't want to chip/crack my teeth. My ortho says it may happen a bit. I voiced my opinion about chipping and he said we can shave the bottoms when the job is finished if they get nicked... :roll:
So do you guys hit them? Am I over worrying?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I've worn elastics for upwards of 6 months, but mine are for an open bite so not directly comparable to what you're experiencing.

I'd say that if your ortho can shave teeth that may chip, then you should be OK.

Kat

#3 Post by Kat »

Second day and I'm real sore but I can handle the discomfort. My bottom teeth do hit / touch the backs of my fronts about half waup the tooth the feels like they are sliding down as I open the bite. This doesnot happen all the time but I'm touching them quite a bit.

ladylee

#4 Post by ladylee »

I've had elastics for 2 months now to move my centerline over and start to close an open bite. I have noticed many changes, one day my teeth meet on one side and it feels like I have something of a bite forming, then that goes away and my teeth meet on the other side and then just 3 days ago, I woke up and everything feels out of kilter and it feels like I am biting metal on metal.

Kat, just keep thinking that every change is good because it means that your teeth are moving and things are changing. Eventually, it should all come together.

Lee :thumbsup:

Jillianleab

#5 Post by Jillianleab »

I had elastics for a few months and I know what you are referring to. It seems that for me, after I have an adjustment my teeth will clink together at times and periodically my teeth meet together differntly, making my bite feel weird. So far I haven't had any wear or damage, just chills up my spine when my teeth clash!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Kat

#6 Post by Kat »

yes, I understand the clink.
I am talking about the front teeth though. I can't feel my molars yet because of the bonding spots that keep the bite open. I'm wondering if anyones front teeth are hitting like the the bottoms hitting the back side of the front upper teeth. Or the top teeth hitting the brackets. This is my concern for damage.

poloaa

#7 Post by poloaa »

I start having my elastic on Friday 2/9, i m fine, i got no feeling at all, just the little headache on the first hours, then no more feeling after that, i took tynenloy and i don't even know it is there now. It is on my left side only, i forgot to ask how long i have to wear it. Anyone who wear elastic, how fast will u notice the change??
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

19Braceface

#8 Post by 19Braceface »

i am experiencing a similiar thing. However not often, just when i bit funky food, no no foods.

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

I am talking about the front teeth though. I'm wondering if anyones front teeth are hitting like the the bottoms hitting the back side of the front upper teeth. .
Yes, it happened to me. I did get a chip on one of my front lowers too. Bonding will take care of it or shaving and smoothing if minor.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Kat

#10 Post by Kat »

I hear you Chris but this is not what I want to do is fix teeth that are damaged from the braces. I put these things on to better my teeth.

plsandiego

#11 Post by plsandiego »

Kat,

Braces don't get your teeth perfect, but cosmetic dentistry can help. How can your teeth, or mine, be perfect after so many years of being misaligned? My lower front teeth are worn differently..and I am only 28.?? :) Braces get teeth straight, and then you go from there.