longer face? :cry:

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

19Braceface

#16 Post by 19Braceface »

candygrrrl wrote:In the year since I was first expanded and braced, I noticed a significant change to my facial shape. Some orthodontists are in denial about these changes, telling patients that braces "move teeth, not bone." Or that they've aged or lost weight.

Although my orthodontist never mentioned facial changes to me prior to treatment, nor was it written anywhere in the pages of documentation given to me beforehand, she at least admitted to me when I queried her that yes, almost all her adult patients experienced facial changes, regardless of whether they were expanded or not. Even my periodontist during my last visit said, "How do you like your new face?" She then elaborated and told me that of course braces move bone and most orthodontic patients undergo some kind of change to their facial structure. Some people like them, some don't. Again, I'm astonished that these changes were only acknowledged after the fact.

To be honest, I'm not happy with the changes. Had I known that I would lose my naturally round, youthful face and end up looking like a hollowed out anorexic stupor model, I most probably would never have done this. Is the trade off – straighter teeth, a proper bite, and improved dental health worth it? I honestly don't know . . .

i knew this wasnt my imagination...*shakes in fear*...stupid vanity...what happens now...straight teeth, but hilary duff...results...(referring to hilary duff's weight loss and suddenly long horsey looking face) im going to go cry now...and floss

orangetammy

#17 Post by orangetammy »

newmetal wrote:Yea my bottom lip potrudes...dont really care though to be honest, its just looks.

Newmetal
hey why that your bottom lip protrudes will make your face longer?

orangetammy

#18 Post by orangetammy »

19Braceface wrote:
candygrrrl wrote:In the year since I was first expanded and braced, I noticed a significant change to my facial shape. Some orthodontists are in denial about these changes, telling patients that braces "move teeth, not bone." Or that they've aged or lost weight.

Although my orthodontist never mentioned facial changes to me prior to treatment, nor was it written anywhere in the pages of documentation given to me beforehand, she at least admitted to me when I queried her that yes, almost all her adult patients experienced facial changes, regardless of whether they were expanded or not. Even my periodontist during my last visit said, "How do you like your new face?" She then elaborated and told me that of course braces move bone and most orthodontic patients undergo some kind of change to their facial structure. Some people like them, some don't. Again, I'm astonished that these changes were only acknowledged after the fact.

To be honest, I'm not happy with the changes. Had I known that I would lose my naturally round, youthful face and end up looking like a hollowed out anorexic stupor model, I most probably would never have done this. Is the trade off – straighter teeth, a proper bite, and improved dental health worth it? I honestly don't know . . .

i knew this wasnt my imagination...*shakes in fear*...stupid vanity...what happens now...straight teeth, but hilary duff...results...(referring to hilary duff's weight loss and suddenly long horsey looking face) im going to go cry now...and floss
haha yeah, thats a really depressing post!

luxekitty

#19 Post by luxekitty »

I haven't really noticed a change in the length of my face. But, I have noticed a change in my mouth, it looks like I got collegen or something because my lips are so full now! This is due to the braces and because my teeth were tilted back before and now they're straight.

I don't mind really, but I don't use those "lip plumpers" anymore, they make me look like Ms. Jolie!!! :shock:
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19Braceface

#20 Post by 19Braceface »

lol i always delete the pics... 8)
Last edited by 19Braceface on Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenfire

#21 Post by jenfire »

To be honest, I'm not happy with the changes. Had I known that I would lose my naturally round, youthful face and end up looking like a hollowed out anorexic stupor model, I most probably would never have done this. Is the trade off – straighter teeth, a proper bite, and improved dental health worth it? I honestly don't know . . .[/quote]

-------

At least after orthodontics, you will have a correct bite. Worrying about a longer, slimmer face seems more vain than deciding to seek out an orthodontist to get the perfect bite.

FWIW, I think Hillary Duff is pretty. Perhaps not as cute as she was before getting the large veneers but to each her own....
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

LithpingLitha

#22 Post by LithpingLitha »

My face definitely looks longer.
The gelb :evil: keeps my bite open.
I suppose it's possible that treatment may open my bite some since my teeth are all wonky, but I know it won't be as bad as the gelb.
I have to remind myself..."only three months" before it goes in the trash. :P

Mel-UK

#23 Post by Mel-UK »

This is a really interesting thread. I have noticed my face changing over the past year and have been wondering about it. My face definitely looks longer and thinner - I even had someone come up to me a while ago asking if I was ok because my face looked thinner (and I'm the same weight). I also seem to have got a bit jowly - which is worrying. I wasn't warned about the changes by my Ortho either.
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

toniz

#24 Post by toniz »

Interesting topic! I was recently braced (1/31) and had my SARPE on Feb.1. I have a very narrow top arch, almost v-shaped, that has my top teeth very, very crowded. I don't have a wide smile, but all the orthos I had consulted before my surgery said the same thing. That I would end up with a wider-looking face after expansion and braces. I have kind of a longer face now, but am looking forward to the bonuses of correcting my palate & teeth.

I never really associated having a longer face with braces. Hopefully in my case, the opposite will occur. In the long run though, it seems that optimal dental health outweighs the vanity part....in my opinion. :-)

Take care,
Toni

Jembrace

#25 Post by Jembrace »

I'm SO glad I'm not the only person who has noticed having hollowed cheeks since getting braced! I HAVE lost a bit of weight with having the braces, mainly because of having to change my eating habits.

I think it also has to do with the fact that I purse my lips together in order to fully close them. Maybe we should all do lip exercises and SMILE, rather than keeping out lips closed. I wonder if puffing out our cheeks a few times a day would help, also? <silly>

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

orangetammy

#26 Post by orangetammy »

bump

19Braceface

#27 Post by 19Braceface »

Jembrace wrote:I'm SO glad I'm not the only person who has noticed having hollowed cheeks since getting braced! I HAVE lost a bit of weight with having the braces, mainly because of having to change my eating habits.

I think it also has to do with the fact that I purse my lips together in order to fully close them. Maybe we should all do lip exercises and SMILE, rather than keeping out lips closed. I wonder if puffing out our cheeks a few times a day would help, also? <silly>

Jembrace
hm..facial exercises? do those work?

orangetammy

#28 Post by orangetammy »

19Braceface wrote:
Jembrace wrote:I'm SO glad I'm not the only person who has noticed having hollowed cheeks since getting braced! I HAVE lost a bit of weight with having the braces, mainly because of having to change my eating habits.

Jembrace
hm..facial exercises? do those work?
I thought facial exercises will only help toning facial muscles.. which in turn would only make your face look slimmer...

moonchick

#29 Post by moonchick »

I've had four teeth extracted and I'm starting to notice my face has gotten a little longer as well. :shock: I don't know if it's trying to keep my lips over my braces, but I've also noticed that when I look in the mirror, my expression makes me look like I'm constantly annoyed.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their natural expression?

19Braceface

#30 Post by 19Braceface »

orangetammy wrote:
I thought facial exercises will only help toning facial muscles.. which in turn would only make your face look slimmer...
True, i think i read somewhere that it helps get rid of baby fat too, just like any form of exercise.