hard to chew?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

iitsmandaOx

hard to chew?

#1 Post by iitsmandaOx »

Hi! I'm a newbie here, heh.

I have a question, which I really haven't seen addressed yet, and if it has, I'm sorry to repost!

I just had braces put on this past monday, full. I had them once before when I was around 10, to correct my underbite but they were only four across the top. Now, I'm in full braces to correct my OVERbite, and I'm turning 16. Fun, huh?

Well, now onto my question. When they put them on Monday, my overbite was so deep that they were afraid that I'd bite down and sheer the bottom braces right off my teeth. So they put this hardening gel on my two top back molars to help stop my teeth from going down so far when I bite. But now those are the only two teeth that touch when I bite down, making chewing very difficult. Has anyone else had this experience or something similar? I'm finally to the point where it doesn't HURT to eat, it's just very, very awkward, and I don't see myself getting used to that.

If anyone can help, that'd be great!

Sweetie

#2 Post by Sweetie »

Hi

I have the same problem. I have been dealing with this since Feb 9 and I do understand you, but I have been eating soft foods, pastas, soft bread, mash potatoes, pancakes, shakes, etc. I also eat chicken only if is moist. I guess we need to take it easy and little by little try other stuffs and maybe we will be able to eat them.

iitsmandaOx

#3 Post by iitsmandaOx »

I'm glad to hear someone else has this problem!

I do have to say it's easier to eat softer things, but also bigger bites of things. I'm not sure why though.

LithpingLitha

#4 Post by LithpingLitha »

My ortho was concerned that I would shear off bottom brackets. He decided to wait three months for my overbite to correct sufficiently with the upper ceramics before placing metal bottom brackets.
Eating is difficult for me due to the gelb splint (bite plate) my ortho has me wearing until an upper cuspid moves so that I do not shear it off with my lower cuspid. I understand how awkward it can be to eat. :?
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story