For those of you with Damon's

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cece

#16 Post by cece »

I have Damons (all metal) and so far, so good. Just had my 5th appointment today...first time, no wire change. So I now have a spring/coil thing at the bottom to maintain a space, a powerchain on bottom plus 2 elastics in triangular fashion on opposite sides. The elastics will def take some getting used to :shock:

BracedBelle

#17 Post by BracedBelle »

The Damon MXs are the latest technology added to the Damon System. They work just like the Damon 3s, except that they allow drop-in hooks (they have vertical slots). This makes for even MORE comfortable treatment, since those annoying hooks are not present until actually needed! Kudos to your doc for his/her forward-thinking!
No offense but you sound like an advertisement... not a braces patient.

drh20s

<message deleted>

#18 Post by drh20s »

<message deleted>
Last edited by drh20s on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

drh20s

<message deleted>

#19 Post by drh20s »

<message deleted>
Last edited by drh20s on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

drh20s

<message deleted>

#20 Post by drh20s »

<message deleted>
Last edited by drh20s on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jembrace

#21 Post by Jembrace »

I'm in Damon 3's and my ortho is a big fan of them. He schedules me for appointments 2 months apart, and says he's using wire which allows for slow, even movement. The gates on all my brackets work just fine, so no problem there.

Since I've never worn other brackets, I can't compare them to my Damons. I also am not sure about all the "hype" in the previous posts.

I'm pleased with what I have, but folks with non self ligating brackets seem to be happy with their hardware.

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

lionfish

#22 Post by lionfish »

I'm glad you had such a positive experience with Damons, drh20s, but that is your only personal experience with a bracket system, much as it is for the rest of us and the bracket system deployed in our treatment.

When you say that Damon treatments are completed faster and with greater comfort, what is the basis of comparison? Has Damon examined cases treated with both Damon & non-Damon systems, that are comparable in every clinical respect, in order to make this claim? And how do you rank the comfort of one system over and above another in two separate patients?

Comparing the alleged criticism of Damons - and it is only Damon wearers and promoters, such as yourself - who seem to infer that it is criticism - to the trial of Galileo misses the point. I think what really pisses a lot of us off here is that, for those of us who are not in Damons, there is an inference that we're getting inferior treatment.

Two questions: does Damon pay you for the work you do in developing teaching materials? And was your treatment free or discounted?

If your answer to one or both of those questions is 'yes', then you are not at arms' length in this debate.

ngbraces

#23 Post by ngbraces »

Some members mentioned Damon brackets often popping off.
viewtopic.php?t=14745
Those are their own experiences, not representing a bracket system.
Time will prove that the Damon System's passive and self-ligating methods are the optimal ways to help the body naturally straighten teeth...
Time did prove that all kinds of bracket system methods have helped the body naturally straighten teeth...

In brief, Damon or non-Damon system can be the best experience for a person. Nobody (especially science-oriented persons) should claim one system is the best for all as long as no VALID researches, no RELIABLE statistic numbers are done and proven.
Full Metal Mouth

BracedBelle

Re: Damon posting not an ad

#24 Post by BracedBelle »

drh20s wrote:BracedBelle's inference that my posting about Damon MXs was an advertisement was interesting...
I meant no offense, I just mean that all of your posts sound like marketing material "spin" to me...

"are the latest technology"
"MORE comfortable treatment"
'Kudos to your doc for his/her forward-thinking"
"Thank you, Dr. Damon "
"The Damon 3s are tops in the ortho world"
"They are sleek, comfortable, and faaast"
"Your doctor must be quality-conscious and patient-focused"

Even someone who had a great experience with a particular product or service doesn't tend to go around yelling from tree-tops that it's "tops in the world"... unless of course they're getting paid to advertise.

Nothing is the best-of-the-best in all cases for all patients. I for one have been having an extremely uncomfortable and frustrating Damon experience for the last couple of months. Also, my ortho not so much forward-thinking as he is interested in booking fewer appointments with his patients.

Betty Bat

#25 Post by Betty Bat »

I think that you could reduce some of the suspicion, drh20s, if you would make just ONE post that didn't sing the praises of Damons. If you really are all that concerned about us and about everyone who wears braces, maybe you could show this in a post on another subject - like toothbrushes or mouthwashes or retainers or ...

P.S. I'm still a "sticky Damon door" person. At my last adjustment, all of the doors were OK, except one, and that one last door took the ortho holding two things that looked like pliers (or forceps) to hold the wire exactly in place while the assistant shut the door. This was two weeks after I had my teeth cleaned, so don't question my dental hygiene again!

chevyhuny

#26 Post by chevyhuny »

I have worn BOTH bracket systems. Once when I was young I wore the traditional style and now Damon's.

At this point I like the Damon's better. That could change as time goes on but that is where I am at now. I remember having to use a lot of wax especially in the beginning and so far I have hardly used any. I still can't believe how quick it was to have them installed and I still don't have to see my ortho until the end of March.

So far so good.

And I really wish this thread doesn't turn into a back and forth argument on Damons like the other threads. :evil: :evil: :evil: Come on people there is plenty of that already.
Braced years ago, now I am braced again! Crossing fingers this time around.
Damon 3s on 6 of top front teeth. Damon 3MX on all the rest.

lionfish

#27 Post by lionfish »

So you have worn so-called "traditional style" (whatever that is) brackets and damons. How many years apart? 5, 15, 20, more? As a child or adult? Please don't compare then - whenever then was - with now. I can guarantee you that anyone who is going around for the second time will most likely be having a better time of it now, regardless of the bracket system being used. Why? Two words: technological advances.

The only reason this thread has evolved to this stage is because some people persist in asserting - over and over again - that damons are far superior to every other bracket system out there. It is tiresome, tedious and above all, it hasn't been demonstrated to be true.

ngbraces

#28 Post by ngbraces »

Take a look at Dmourning before and after pictures? The wonderful result is achieved from traditional brackets with NO extractions and NO surgery AT ALL:
viewtopic.php?t=17092
http://www.geocities.com/xeveritus/braces.html
Can anybody dare to say that his ortho is "not quality-conscious and patient-focused" and "not forward-thinking" because s/he didn't use Damon's?

So, the point is to STOP ADVERTISING a bracket system in this forum with a tone that sounds like putting other systems down in an obstinate way. Then we will live in peace, discuss our cases to achieve our beautiful smiles and agree that:
I don't care what we are using, I just want a pretty smile.
Full Metal Mouth

chevyhuny

#29 Post by chevyhuny »

So you have worn so-called "traditional style" (whatever that is) brackets and damons. How many years apart? 5, 15, 20, more? As a child or adult? Please don't compare then - whenever then was - with now. I can guarantee you that anyone who is going around for the second time will most likely be having a better time of it now, regardless of the bracket system being used. Why? Two words: technological advances.

The only reason this thread has evolved to this stage is because some people persist in asserting - over and over again - that damons are far superior to every other bracket system out there. It is tiresome, tedious and above all, it hasn't been demonstrated to be true.

YOU ARE SO QUICK TO JUMP ON ME YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ MY POST. I SAID "At this point I like the Damon's better. That could change as time goes on but that is where I am at now. " I'm not advertising anything I am giving my facts and opinions on MY experience.

I CAN compare because I had both and my adult mother went right along with me and knows what went on during that time as well. I KNOW how I feel so don't tell me what I can and can't compare. They are MY opinions and I am entitled to them.

And you can "guarantee"? OK when you yourself wear BOTH brackets for the entire span of treatment yourself then maybe you can guarantee. I haven't given any guarantees.

And I am sick and tired of some of you coming into every Damon post starting a whole whirl wind of back and forth arguments. You are making this board a real bore and pain to come to which I think is a really terrible thing. Some of us people who wear Damon's and would just like to talk to eachother are having to resort to Private Messages because you have to jump on everyone and start back and forth Drama. :roll: And I fully expect it will continue in this thread AGAIN.
Last edited by chevyhuny on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Braced years ago, now I am braced again! Crossing fingers this time around.
Damon 3s on 6 of top front teeth. Damon 3MX on all the rest.

jennielee81

#30 Post by jennielee81 »

And I am sick and tired of some of you coming into every Damon post starting a whole whirl wind of back and forth arguments. You are making this board a real bore and pain to come to which I think is a really terrible thing. Some of us people who wear Damon's and would just like to talk to eachother are having to resort to Private Messages because you have to jump on everyone and start back and forth Drama. And I fully expect it will continue in this thread AGAIN.
It is very disturbing. I wish we could all get along.

If this were a discussion about carpet or dishwashers, would people be so angry?? Even the Invisalign board isn't this divisive. :?:

Our Damon experiences are authentic! As authentic as anyone else's. We're not advertising, we're just talking to each other. :-+ (ouch)

If someone comes on here and truly advertise a system, ignore them!!!
Everyone reads these with their own "filters" or "lenses". Let it be what it is....another discussion topic for people WITH DAMONS. Is there anyone getting angry with people who have elastics, or those with expanders or someone with an Essex rather than Hawley retainer?? I've said it before, there's nothing WRONG WITH DAMONS...they're just another system. If the company who makes them advertises too much, that's not OUR FAULT!

Misinformation is another issue. There is a good number of people who will politely correct this problem (I would like to thank them!), beyond this it is just harassment.

Sigh...Image

Respectfully yet nervously submitted by....Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm