people who prefer metal over ceramic?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joanna banana

Clear Inspire Sapphire braces

#16 Post by joanna banana »

I recently got clear Inspire sapphire braces w/ tooth colored wire, which are similar to ceramic, except they're not ceramic. However, same idea. Anyway, I chose clear over metal braces because I wanted them to be less noticeable, especially in pictures. My family didn't notice them at first when I was talking to them, even though they knew I had gotten them that day. They had to come in really close to my face after I had reminded them I had gotten them. However, I would say they are noticeable, to me at least. It is a lot to adjust to whether you get metal or ceramic b/c you can feel them and they are not comfortable. So it seems like a lot bigger deal to you than to anyone around you. I would say though, that the metal brackets on my back teeth are much smoother and more comfortable than the Inspires. IDK if ceramics are the same way. I'm glad I got the clear braces over metal because I am self-conscious about the braces in the first place. I would love to have gotten lingual braces, but they are twice as much. Either way you go it will be worth your perfect smile in the end!

Mmmmuuaa

#17 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

I also have the crystal brackets and I'm so glad I spent the extra to get them. It's not that I'm trying to hide that I have braces, I just don't need it to be the first thing someone notices about me. Plus it's so good for pictures. You can hardly tell, I still have a beautiful white smile, even with braces. I don't think I'd get them for my kid though because if your not careful the elastics stain and kids just wouldn't care or be careful enough so it wouldn't be worth the extra money. I've been careful, I'm not a big coffee drinker, or red wine and I've rarely had curry so I manage to keep my elastics pretty clear. My ortho's assistant always comments on how clear they stay. Anyway here's a picture of me with braces and how they look on. Maybe it will help you make a decision.

tommyfive

#18 Post by tommyfive »

i chose metal over ceramic brackets (and brackets over invisalign) based primarily on cost. i'm also not worried about what others see, and think i'll be happier not trying to hide something which is obvious to me.

that's my choice though; not right for everyone.

we'll see how i feel about it after bonding day...
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

NotBob1

#19 Post by NotBob1 »

I did the metal because I figured.....Just be it. Don't try to hide it. I think everyone should just choose whatever makes them more comfortable, it really does not matter.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

platinum

#20 Post by platinum »

Mmmmuuaa: your braces are almost invisible!!! Very nice looking! Metal brackets look quite bad in pictures.
I want those as well! I do some theatre so those brackets probably won't show to the audience.

How much is the price difference between metal and ceramic brackets?

Jenny5

#21 Post by Jenny5 »

How much is the price difference between metal and ceramic brackets?
platinum -- I'm quite sure it varies from office to office, but for me, ceramics were an extra $75 per tooth. I paid an extra $450 to get them on the top 6.

acrobat -- I do not have the rubber ligs around my clear braces, but white wire ties instead, so staining is not a problem. As everyone has said, it's a personal preference. I don't mind having braces and don't feel awkward with them at all, but I just thought I'd be more comfortable having the uppers clear. Plus, my insurance was picking up a lot of my treatment cost, so the extra money wasn't as much of an issue. I do not regret my decision, but I think whichever choice I made, I'd get used to it all the same. For me, I knew people would notice my braces either way, but especially since I have some weddings and my godson's christening and stuff like that coming up, I wanted them to be a little more discreet in photos, which they are. Good luck with your decision!

platinum

#22 Post by platinum »

i chose metal over ceramic brackets (and brackets over invisalign) based primarily on cost. i'm also not worried about what others see, and think i'll be happier not trying to hide something which is obvious to me.
$

Tommyfive:
I gathered from your earlier posts taht you specifically wanted metal brackets, because you did not get braces when you were a kid.
And you wanted to taste metal in your mouth or something...

Kat

#23 Post by Kat »

Clear upeers with white wire ties or color ligs if I want and metal on the bottoms.
If I were to do it again I wouldn't change a thing.
When I talk to people they say they didn't even know I had them unless I say something, Pictures you can't even tell I have them when I look in the mirror I am happier with the way I look-they are not over powering in anyway.
Bottoms-metal. No reason for the clears here. I figured they would be real noticable but my ortho said they would not be and he was right. If I want to add color and I haven't yet on the bottom I can.
The ceramics were sharp at first, the edges are. The metal bottoms I would say are a bit more ruff over the ceramics. Either are a problem.
I am glad I went with the metal bottoms because they are a bit smaller than the ceramics, just a bit but we have more room on the top with our lips than we do on the bottoms.

Wouldn't change a thing I tell ya.
Look/search on the color lig thread it shows a bunch of pics.

Lisa65

#24 Post by Lisa65 »

I went for full metal despite my ortho offering me ceramics on top for no extra charge, because that's just me. I like to be unconventional and having a metal grin is part of the experience for me.

shay

#25 Post by shay »

i've had metal bottoms for about 8mths now and just today i got my tops done.

i went back and forth between whether i should get ceramic or metal for my top braces and cost wasn't an issue since my ortho did both for the same price...
it really just came down to how i wanted to look and i have to say that i always stared at people with clear braces because it looks to me like they have a lot of saliva or something. i don't know but it looks kind of strange to me and i decided that if i'm going to get braces, i'm not going to hide it

the tops are self-ligating braces but even if they weren't, i'd pick metal wire as ligs like i do on the bottom, i'm not a big fan of the colors cuz my teeth are still so crowded and the colored ligs seem to make that stand out even more

i'm all for the classic metalmouth look, i think it's charming!! :lol:

acrobat

#26 Post by acrobat »

Thanks for all the responds guys!

Hehe Shay, you are just like me!
I could have ceramics for the same prize as metal so the only thing that mattered was how it would look like. And i can't help but think that ceramics will look a bit odd. Maybe it's because i've never seen someone with it in real life and it's simply not a comon thing over here.

Anyhow, i decided to go for full metal....and yes...i'm freaking out right now, tomorow top braces are going on, dear god...
i can't wait :D

chicklets

#27 Post by chicklets »

I've decided on full metal as well (getting fully braced next month). I've seen people with ceramic, and to me, the first thing I think is that they have muck in their teeth. Once I realize it's their braces it's okay, but it just donesn't look as clean (if that's the right word) as the metal.

I never asked my ortho about the cost difference, but if it was more money, that would have been another reason to go metal for me. My dental coverage will not pay for any of my ortho treatment. Invisalign was an option for me as well, but the cost being $1,000 more did not seem worth it.

I keep telling myself that maybe I'll look younger with a metal mouth :D (I'm 42).
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

platinum

#28 Post by platinum »

I've decided on full metal as well (getting fully braced next month). I've seen people with ceramic, and to me, the first thing I think is that they have muck in their teeth. Once I realize it's their braces it's okay, but it just donesn't look as clean (if that's the right word) as the metal.
When I have seen people with metal my first thought is that there is a lot wrong in this person's mouth and what a ugly sight... I am not only with my opinion...

I posted a picture of my smile earlier this post. It looks bad, and it would look even worse with upper metals. Frankly, I have not seen any smiles in this forum, where metals look even remotely good...

Way Too Old For This

#29 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I wasn't really given a choice. I had to have an impacted canine brought down and my ortho wanted the strength of the metal brackets. I haven't been sorry as I would hate to have to worry about staining.

Another woman in my office has clear and when I first saw them I just thought she just had food stuck in her teeth.

Metal braces on my teeth still look better than my teeth did before I started treatment. Its only a couple of years. Thats nothing compared to how long my teeth have been just plain ugly all by themselves.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

bsblguy

#30 Post by bsblguy »

My orthodontist doesn't like ceramics as well as metal because they don't get as good of results or break or come off easier. I will have all metal damon braces tomorrow. I wanted all metal anyway and wasn't concerned about the looks. Besides, as much as I'm paying for them i want people to see them, LOL.