You Brush Your Teeth How Many Times A Day??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Amy19

#16 Post by Amy19 »

Over the top

:D

[/url]

raninhas

#17 Post by raninhas »

Thank you, Amy! Eheh.

Pepper

#18 Post by Pepper »

Two to three times a day.

cmm1280

#19 Post by cmm1280 »

I'm pretty good at brushing 3 times a day. Maybe more, but for the most part, I do it after every main meal. I use an oral irrigator twice daily and floss every other night. I'm surprised that I am sticking to this routine so well. I'm almost 4 months in!! WOW :shock:

Keep brushin! :-}

**Braced 22 months and 3 weeks. Estimated 24 months treatment time.

maple

#20 Post by maple »

Generally I brush 2x per day.
Sometimes I do it more often, depending on what I eat.
If I don't get a chance to brush my teeth, I always make sure to rinse them with water and remove food pieces that may be hiding in the braces.

The ortho assistant, told me that she over-brushed her teeth when she had braces. She has some receding gums now. She says that people with braces tend to push hard on the gums and that can damage gum tissue. She recommended using the proxy brush instead of the regular tooth brush around the gum line. But most importantly, be gentle with brushing around the gums.

Brandyleigh35

#21 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I brush 3x a day, and floss and water pik every night. Been doing that since I got them on a year ago. :)

Brandy

Katica

#22 Post by Katica »

I brush after every time I eat, and again in the evening before bed.

I like to snack, so this works out to brushing about 5 times a day.

The first four times are regular brushings (maybe followed by using my interdental brush), and those last about 2 - 3 minutes.

My evening routine is more thorough and takes about 10 minutes - I brush, floss, use mouthwash, and follow it up with my waterpik.

Ives

#23 Post by Ives »

Funny thing about this. I used to brush twice a day and floss once a day. Since commiting to braces ( will get braced on march 1st ) I find myself being very aware of my teeth. Now I brush 3 or 4 times a day, water pick after every meal and bought myself a sonic brush. Just thinking about braces has made me take better care of my mouth. I also salt rinse often, thanks Kiwi for that one. :wink:
Braced March 1st 07

dawnm

#24 Post by dawnm »

Every time I eat.. and I eat often because I tend to eat smaller, more frequent meals. I also brush right before I go to bed. I'd say I brush at least 5 times a day.

raninhas

#25 Post by raninhas »

Funny thing, Ives, I've been much more careful about my oral hygien. I already used to brush 2 to 3 times a day, and floss every single day, but now I do this much more often, and I also salt water rinse, eheh. I still don't know what's a water pick, or where to get it :oops:
Anyway, I'm getting braced tomorrow!!! I'm so excited...

platinum

#26 Post by platinum »

In the evenings properly: flossing, tongue, around the brackets with proxy, fuoride mothwash-
Mornings jsut brushing with electric toothbrush, maybe mouthwash.

After eating food I brush with or without toothpaste.
I always brush my retainer, too, because I eat having it in my mouth.(not veyr comfortable, but I have gotten use to it)

And every three days I put my retainer in denture cleaning liquid.

JoviFan

#27 Post by JoviFan »

Minimum 3x per day ....depends if I snack in between meals or not..... I do my 'full cleaning' at night.... I don't want to do any damage to my gums by brushing too much tho - my 1st adj appointment is still 5 weeks away....I'll have them take a peek... :) It's good to read that you don't 'have to' brush right away or every single time after you eat! makes me feel a little more 'relaxed'! I've even been paranoid about drinking soda!! Which normally I only do on the weekends with some Captain ;) or Canadian club :D :lol: :lol:
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

BracedBelle

#28 Post by BracedBelle »

3 per day -> after breakfast, 6pm when I get home from work, and at bedtime, more if it's a weekend and I'm home (then I can brush after I eat or snack). My lunches at work are not solid food, so I generally just swish with mouthwash quickly.

I don't brush at work. I cannot watch or hear anyone spit without gagging in response, even if it's my husband brushing at home. A woman at work brushes in the washroom at work and I literally gag and almost throw up, so now I don't go near the washroom when she's in there. I've met a few other people who are as sensitive as I am about this, so I just can't brush in a public place knowing what my response is when I see others do it.

I don't know why I have that response :(

ema27

#29 Post by ema27 »

OK-I brush first thing in the morning (morning breath-which im sure no one wishes to smell-LOL)breakfast is about 40 minutes later which means brush number 2.Dinner at 1 means brush number3.I find it essential to brush after eating-food sticks everywhere!!!! :oops:
just before 3 when i get the kids ill brush again-that makes 4 (just to make sure that no food remains are stashed in the little gaps)after tea ill brush again and then again at bed-average 5 times sometimes more if i eat out at night!

probably as a newbie im still paranoid!!!!!!!!!

MsViola

#30 Post by MsViola »

I average 3-4 times a day. I have no hang ups about brushing anywhere or anytime. I think it is "more gross" to be seen walking out of a public restroom without washing your hands I make sure that I am as neat as possible and clean up after myself. As others have stated I overdid it when I first got braces. I have "extra" gum tissue, which is easily inflammed. A trip to the Ortho today revealed that as my teeth move the excess skin is protruding more. I will more than likely have the procedure (can't remember the name) to correct the problem at the end of my journey.

Morning:

I rinse with warm salt water before breakfast
after breakfast - sonicare and mouthwash

I brush up to two times at work depending on what I eat (manual or electric brush

If I eat dinner before 9 or 10 I brush again

before going to bed I use the waterpik in the shower, brush and floss (2-3 times a week), brush again with flouride toothpaste and try not to eat until the next morning.

I try to brush each time I eat because rinsing does not seem to get all the "stuff" out.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months