Shallowbite? Treatment ?'s

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Machiavellian

Shallowbite? Treatment ?'s

#1 Post by Machiavellian »

My ortho characterized my bite as having proclined upper incisors, reclined lower incisors, both with moderate crowding, a 7mm shallow bite (never heard of that), overbite with a slight deepbite tendancy.

When I shift my lower jaw forward my front teeth dont touch my bottom teeth so I don't see how I have a deepbite, more like an openbite it seems to me

He recommends 4 extractions of all the second bicuspids, nance appliance, and elastics. Estimated time of 2 years.

My main goals were to reduce mentalis strain when closing lips and to improve my profile (weak chin, slightly long face). Does his course of treatment seem appropriate?

ngbraces

#2 Post by ngbraces »

Hi and welcome,:-1
I think most of us are not dental professionals, we can't give you the exact answer. My advice is to go to one or more ortho to get more consultations. Then you will see whether they have similar plans for you. It also would help you build the trust with the ortho you choose for your treatment.
Good luck with the decision you'll make.
Full Metal Mouth

Machiavellian

#3 Post by Machiavellian »

Thanks for the replies,

The weak chin is an 'illusion' caused by an overbite and overjet, I assumed once the teeth are pulled back and the top lip relaxes this would bring my mouth into a more harmonious allignment with the rest of my face.

Anyone ever hear of a shallowbite though? In all the dental literature I have perused I have never seen anything called a 'shallowbite'.

joney

#4 Post by joney »

I'm glad I'm open (openbite) I don't like the thought of being shallow but being deep sounds like I could be a poet!
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)