ibuprofen

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PIMPmyTEETH

ibuprofen

#1 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

my ortho told me that ibuprofen consumption slows down tooth movement. out of curiosity, i did a little googling. this is one of the articles i found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=16979495

its just an abstract, but it shows a brief description of the results of the study. apparently, its true. no more advil for the next 1.5 years.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

The article is not clear about how frequently the rats (poor bastards not only copped braces, they got the bullet as well) were given advil and the relative dose to body weight, etc.

I would imagine that a handful of advil along the way wouldn't slow things down noticeably, but if you're hooked on the stuff that could be another story.

For what it's worth, I've reached for the painkillers just once in 12 months (and it wasn't advil).

manglemouth

#3 Post by manglemouth »

I can't believe they put braces on rats :shock: How?? With tweezers? Poor things, first that and then they got killed. How awful.

Sorry I couldn't even read any of the actual scientific stuff! Huge animal lover here Image

Ruby Tuesday

#4 Post by Ruby Tuesday »

A friend of mine was told by his ortho not to use the stuff because it would slow down treatment, but I use it from time to time.. That is the first time I had heard of it though.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Poor rats :( some awful things are done to innocent creatures in the name of "research"

My ortho told me to use ibuprofen if I needed a painkiller as it was better for "bone pain" than paracetamol. I don't take many though.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

tommyfive

#7 Post by tommyfive »

our ortho brought this up when wifey got her braces on yesterday, and it scared her so that she went through two days of mild to moderate discomfort (not pain) until tonight when she had complained about the discomfort enough so that *I* got worried that she was torturing herself.

i've been reading here for two months now and have seen how much a little ibuprofen can help (a lot), so i said: wifey, one or two days taking ibuprofen will not extend your treatment by six or twelve months. make these first few days easier for yourself and use it.

she did, and an hour later she was happily chomping on a cheeseburger (literally, if a little carefully).

you're in it for the long haul, don't make it any more unpleasant than it has to be!

T
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

Exactly, and if you're really concerned about advil, there are always homeopathic alternatives.

PIMPmyTEETH

#9 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

Regardless of their results' validity - it's a bad write up which makes it seem like bad science.
its just the abstract...besides, if there is even the slightest risk of something slowing down my progress, and there is an alternative, i'm going to take the alternative. i'll stick to tylenol just in case.

there have been many studies done on the subject that come to the same conclusion.

of course, the amount of ibuprofen taken to relieve pain may not matter all that much, but why take the chance at all?

LithpingLitha

#10 Post by LithpingLitha »

I dislike taking pain relievers, but I learned that they help me during appointments.
I didn't take pain reliever my 1st week in skinny spacers, and I was miserable when eating the entire week.
I took Advil right before my appt. for bigger spacers. The difference in my comfort was amazing. The teeth definitely moved!
For my brace day, I took an Advil before the appt., and it helped.
I plan to pop an Advil or ibuprofen before each adjustment.
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

mayday

#11 Post by mayday »

This is one of the things my Ortho recommended to me--he said that I should use Tylenol instead, because others have a tendency to be slower.

I know when I considered AOO--it really said that I should take Advil, because it would work against the surgery.

Danielle

#12 Post by Danielle »

Humans are the most revolting species on this earth! :evil:
Agreed! This "study" sounds awful. Anyway, I'm not sure how much damage a little Advil could do during treatment... it can't be that bad as my Ortho/Dentist recommends and even prescribes Ibuprofen for me... I've only taken something for the pain (or as they like to say pressure) a couple of times and it's usually Aleve.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present