no soda, but sparkling water OK?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

manglemouth

no soda, but sparkling water OK?

#1 Post by manglemouth »

Hi, I think i read here that soda is not good to drink with braces. Why exactly? Is it just the sugar and is diet soda ok? Or is is the carbonation? Because that makes me wonder if my mineral water is ok to drink, which is carbonated?

pink77blondie

#2 Post by pink77blondie »

Mine never told me anything about cokes.... hmmm maybe I should ask! Thanks for asking the question!
[/url]

[/url]

manglemouth

#3 Post by manglemouth »

Thanks ladies! I thought it was mainly the sugar and the little bid of acidity. So I say my club soda is OK!! Yay! Fizzy stuff is good for that "unclean" feeling I often have in my mouth, even though I already brushed twice today :D

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

Just wondering about beer...

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Beer is the same I think but its not stopping me :D in fact I also drink soda and was never told that I couldn't drink soda I was just told to reduce my soda intake some as I usually go about 1 soda a day or 5 sodas a week :)

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

manglemouth

#6 Post by manglemouth »

wow, thanks Maryaten! Very interesting. Considering I swish with Listerine and Peroxide constantly between brushing (I am so worried about my teeth decaying around the brackets!!), I best not undo all the good by drinking club soda all day long! Glad I asked!

Lee54

phosphorous in carbonated water may increase bone fractures

#7 Post by Lee54 »

Besides the sugar problems with sodas on teeth, I have read in books from the Prevention magazine folks that there is a study linking the phosphorous in even plain carbonated water with an increase in bone fractures after age 40, essentially affecting your bone mass, weakening your bones. That would mean it may not be a good idea to drink much of even plain unflavored carbonated water.

On the other hand, Jean Carper has said (in Food Your Miracle Medicine) that a study found when traveling it is better to drink carbonated bottle waters (vs. plain bottled), because its acidifying properties help kill microorganisms, helping preventing traveler's diarrhea, cholera, etc. So perhaps carbonated water's "acidity" may also negatively affect our teeth like the acids in Coke formula and sodas, hence the advisory to not drink much of it in any form.

Lee54

#8 Post by Lee54 »

Besides the sugar problems with sodas on teeth, I have read in books from the Prevention magazine folks that there is a study linking the phosphorous in even plain carbonated water with an increase in bone fractures after age 40, essentially affecting your bone mass, weakening your bones. That would mean it may not be a good idea to drink much of even plain unflavored carbonated water.

On the other hand, Jean Carper has said (in Food Your Miracle Medicine) that a study found when traveling it is better to drink carbonated bottle waters (vs. plain bottled), because its acidifying properties help kill microorganisms, helping preventing traveler's diarrhea, cholera, etc. So perhaps carbonated water's "acidity" may also negatively affect our teeth like the acids in Coke formula and sodas, hence the advisory to not drink much of it in any form.

Lee54

#9 Post by Lee54 »

manglemouth

#10 Post by manglemouth »

Amazing what one can learn on this board :shock: Thanks Lee54!! Great info :D