Eating at work??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pink77blondie

Eating at work??

#1 Post by pink77blondie »

Those of you who are braced... how do you go about cleaning your teeth at work. I just had a salad and it had black beans and corn in it and I think it was a mistake... I am still pulling out stuff... grr
[/url]

[/url]

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

First thing to do is swish a lot with water. Then go brush your teeth. Then you will probably be good to go. Occassionally, with some stubborn foods, I'll end up finding something hiding later, but if you didn't see it when you were brushing, nobody else sees it either. :roll:

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I don't often eat at work, but if I do I go into the ladies afterwards and swish out with lots of water, do a visual check in the mirror, and have a quick brush.
I actually work in catering and i don't want to put other people off their food by showing them what's on today's menu in my braces :lol:

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

Absolutely no problem brushing at work. I never paid attention to it before I had braces, but there are plenty of people in my office who don't have braces and still brush after lunch. Nothing passe' about good oral hygine and fresh breath!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I take a packed lunch to work most days and sometimes eat out. I clean up whatever I can at my desk with interdens brushes and go to the ladies to brush afterwards. I don't care who sees me doing it either.

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

I find rinsing my mouth with water helps. I also use the interdental brush and a toothpick to get food out.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

NikkiB

#7 Post by NikkiB »

I’m with you Lionfish. I have only had my braces for about 2 weeks, full top, and bottom, so I'm still trying to get used to this whole eating thing without looking to ridiculous. :oops: I tend to eat at my desk and try to get as much out with an indertens brush then I head to the bathroom for a real good brush. I don't care so much as to who sees me, most of the time my coworkers will walk in and immediately get that sympathetic look on their face and then proceed to try to engage in a conversation as to how I'm doing with them. While I'm still brushing my teeth mind you. Hey, at least they are friendly and concerned. :HugeGrin:

trublu22

#8 Post by trublu22 »

I've been braced for 5 months now and I stopped eating at work the second month after I was braced. Running to the bathroom after every meal was just annoying and tiresome to me, I tried just swishing with water after meals but still felt like there was something stuck. So I eat a good hearty breakfast before I leave for work and brush, I drink water during the day, then when I get home I eat dinner and brush then floss and brush again before bed.

Pepper

#9 Post by Pepper »

I usually do okay at school. I save a lot of whatever I'm drinking for the end so I can swish it around. I also just kind of... swab around with my tongue. It works out okay. Sometimes if I'm really paranoid, I'll go to the bathroom and make sure I'm okay, but I've never had an embarrassing moment. It probably helps that there are like four or five people at my lunch table with braces too.

Ives

#10 Post by Ives »

keep forgeting how much diversity there is on this board. Had to think for a second what a loo was. :lol:
Braced March 1st 07

jamiegirl

#11 Post by jamiegirl »

I always carry my travel toothbrush and mini tube of toothpaste with me in my purse where ever I go. If I eat dinner out I'll even go into the restroom after and do a quick brushing. If someone sees me then oh well! At least they will know I take care of my teeth!

Million$smile

#12 Post by Million$smile »

I also just jump into the bathroom and start brushing. (Couple times of day sometimes.) :D
Other women walk in and it startles both of us initially, I always instantly feel like I'm doing something wrong, but then go on about my business...
Once I quickly got over the fact I'm 31 wtih braces, brushing was no big deal, just a part of the process.
If you get down to it everyone should be brushing after everymeal. We just have a more obvious reason too!

01/25/07 spacer
01/30/07 spacer out - top wired
02/05/07: bottom wired (both metal)
est. 30 months w/lower jaw surgery & implants

Nervous

#13 Post by Nervous »

I always keep a toothbrush and toothpaste with me if I am planning on eating at school. I just run into the bathroom and brush my teeth. I might get some odd looks but it's better than the looks I got when food was hanging out of my mouth :roll:

Emerald

#14 Post by Emerald »

I always have my interdental brush with me so if anything gets stuck its handy to clean my braces out with.

I also like to swish with water after every meal.
Emerald
I had self-ligating braces for 4 years & 8 months.

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

I had Jaw surgery on 14th July 2008

Please see blog for more details:

http://emeraldsdentaldiary.blogspot.com

LucyVanity

#15 Post by LucyVanity »

eh *shrug* I've just been brushing after breakfast and before bed like I have for my entire life. To be honest, I've never used my travel brush >.> I also don't eat very much when I'm away from home anyway, and especially not things that get stuck more easily (vegetables are the worst). XD I do chew a lot of gum just because... I always have o.O green tea mint is my favorite thus far...

Just do whatever you feel like. If you get stuff stuck in your braces all the time, and you can't stand it, then brush more often.

On a totally unrelated note... I noticed according to my ticker that I've been braced for half a year. This year has gone by especially fast D: I am not ready for college!