spacers PAIN

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

manglemouth

#1 Post by manglemouth »

Jeni, I had my spacers put in almost 2 weeks ago so the pain is very fresh in my mind :wink: The worst was the first day (well, in my case the day after)...that day I didn't think I would be able to handle these things for 2 weeks straight, no way. But it really does pass fairly quickly, soon your teeth will only be sore when you chew anymore and a couple days later they will be nothing more than an annoyance, but they won't hurt anymore. That's how it was for me anyway. Hope the worst pain is over with soon for you too!

Jenny5

#2 Post by Jenny5 »

I had a pretty hard time in the 2 weeks I had spacers, especially the first week, but the good thing is, you'll be looking so forward to getting the spacers out that you'll be super excited to get the braces on! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Nawners

#3 Post by Nawners »

My first week with spacers was cake. I was worried that since I felt no pain, they weren't working. BUT.... That's over now. This last week has been total misery. :(
Hopefully you're getting the worst out of the way and in a week you will be on your way!! Try warm salt water rinses, they really do work!

Good luck! :D
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

MCRmouth

#4 Post by MCRmouth »

I am finding that my electric tooth brush on the gums helps with the pain. It's only day 1 with spacers.....hopefully the next 6 days will fly by!

victor36

#5 Post by victor36 »

hello jt2lang!
Is it safe to assume that you are taking some type of OTC pain medication? Because once the spacers are gone then you're going to experience some tightness/tenderness once the braces go on and then you're REALLY going to want to take some type of pain reliever. And warm-to-hot salt water rinses really do work.
Good luck with your treatment! Post some pics up to track your progress!
~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.

pink77blondie

#6 Post by pink77blondie »

My spacers hurt for the first week but after that it got better! I was having problems eating things too!! but just take very small bites it helps! Good Luck!

jmorales93

#7 Post by jmorales93 »

My magic number was 5 days. The first two days I survived on pudding, scrambled eggs and soup. 8)

shoshiaf

#8 Post by shoshiaf »

I think the spacers were the most uncomfortable part of the braces experience. Many adults agree with this, so don't let the discomfort of the spacers discourage you! It will get better, I promise! Good luck on your journey!

BraceMom

#9 Post by BraceMom »

Jeni, I'm right there with ya, got my spacers last Wednesday and OUCH I say as I drink my daily protein smoothie. To top it off I have bronchitis so I'm on antibiotics as well :( My diet has mostly been scrambled eggs, avocado, soup and smoothies, sadly I can't even chew a soft french fry but I guess it's a good thing in that I'm trying to get that last 20lb of baby weight off :) Luckily during girls night out last night we went to a local Italian place and I had a wonderful bowl of mushy soup and then asked them to boil my sweet potato ravioli to as soft as possible which still hurt to chew but I was able to softly gum and then swallow. It hurt a bit but was worth it! Anyway, good luck with your braces this week, mine go on Wednesday morning but I'll probably still have to keep 2 spacers in on the tightest spots for 1 more week, but hopefully they can switch out the metal twisty ones with the rubber bands instead ;)

Ives

#10 Post by Ives »

Yeah, gotta agree with everyone here. My spacers have caused alot of discomfort. Mostly the front uppers. Cannot really chew anything right now. Tried to smash things with my tongue on the roof of mouth. That doesn't really work well though. The best part of getting braced on thursday will be to get these darn things out.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

manglemouth

#11 Post by manglemouth »

Spacers, eh? Those boogers hurt like the dickens. I resisted temptation many a time to just yank them out on my own and say they fell out. It would have been such a wicked thing to do though. :) I think my overjet increased because of them. It was so frustrating to know they were worsening my problems temporarily.
SAME THING HERE!!! It took everything in me to not just take my fingernails and go FLICK, FLICK, FLICK and pop them all out, one by one! It would have been so easy as they were the metal ones and stuck out on either end. That was the most willpower I ever needed for about 48 hours, it was utter misery! And yes mine made my teeth worse too, my bottom crowded even worse and my lateral on top moved back even further. That had me really frustrated too...not only was I in pain, but I was going backwards as far as progress!

HOWEVER...now that I have been braced for three days, I agree that they are the worst part by far. I haven't felt pain like that since!

BraceMom

#12 Post by BraceMom »

That's great news mm, good to hear there's a light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for the encouragement!

I so badly needed some 'real' protein tonight I made some tuna salad mush in my mini food processor and it was great with some avocado! I don't know about y'all but I've been a vegetarian since I got these spacers and I really miss eating chicken and beef. I can't say I could stomach ground of steak but I may have to try some ground up chicken salad tomorrow night ;) :lol:

Ives

#13 Post by Ives »

BraceMom wrote:
I so badly needed some 'real' protein tonight I made some tuna salad mush in my mini food processor and it was great with some avocado! I don't know about y'all but I've been a vegetarian since I got these spacers and I really miss eating chicken and beef. I can't say I could stomach ground of steak but I may have to try some ground up chicken salad tomorrow night ;) :lol:
This is the part i'm dreading most. Even with just spacers eating is a chore. I know everyone says that eventually i will be able to eat normally but i'm worried about that word " eventually ". I had yogurt and a fruit cup for lunch today. I really miss my double cheeseburgers.... :(
Braced March 1st 07

BraceMom

#14 Post by BraceMom »

Ives, I broke down today, I was so hungry and nothing sounded good so I had a Big Mac (w/o lettuce) and it was HEAVEN. It took 20-30 minutes to get down and I had to take a Motrin afterwards but my tummy is so happy now!!!!!!! :dance: :banana:

TheShmo

#15 Post by TheShmo »

BraceMom wrote:Jeni, I'm right there with ya, got my spacers last Wednesday and OUCH I say as I drink my daily protein smoothie. To top it off I have bronchitis so I'm on antibiotics as well :( My diet has mostly been scrambled eggs, avocado, soup and smoothies, sadly I can't even chew a soft french fry but I guess it's a good thing in that I'm trying to get that last 20lb of baby weight off :) Luckily during girls night out last night we went to a local Italian place and I had a wonderful bowl of mushy soup and then asked them to boil my sweet potato ravioli to as soft as possible which still hurt to chew but I was able to softly gum and then swallow. It hurt a bit but was worth it! Anyway, good luck with your braces this week, mine go on Wednesday morning but I'll probably still have to keep 2 spacers in on the tightest spots for 1 more week, but hopefully they can switch out the metal twisty ones with the rubber bands instead ;)
Wow, sounds like we have a lot in common! I got my spacers put in today, and my teeth are KILLING me right now... plus I am taking antibiotics for tonsillitis/strep, too. The only difference is that I need to lose about 30 pounds of baby weight ;)