Flying and Diving/Snorkeling with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pcgal

Flying and Diving/Snorkeling with Braces

#1 Post by pcgal »

I'm on week 5 with my new braces (ceramic uppers, metal lowers)...so far so good. It seems I never can tell when I'll have a painfree day or a sore one.

In 3 days, we fly to the Caribbean. Has anyone had issues with flying (altitude) with braces?

Also, are there any issues with diving/snorkeling? Last week, I did a check out dive (in a pool - purpose of the dive to remember all of the safety issues of diving) and my mouth was pretty sore afterwards. I was only in 10 feet of water...I'm pretty sure my soreness was due to biting down on the mouthpiece of my regulator. But, I'm a little nervous going to 40-60ft with my braces on. Do I need to worry any about depth? Or anything else?

If there is anyone out there who has gone diving with braces, fill me in. Thanks.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Long standing diver here, including with braces, to your rescue!

The only issue I've had is with the regulator mouthpiece. I started off with the normal mouthpiece, but found that I couldn't get a comfortable "seat" so I switched to a "mouldable" mouthpiece, trade name JAX (Italian product, costs around $35 Aussie) which I found at my local dive shop. What is nice about this mouthpiece is that you can change the fit as your bite changes. It comes with instructions, but the idea is to dip it in hot water for a few minutes, stick it in your mouth and make it fit your bite, then dip it in cold water to let it set. I've used it ever since, it works well and I have no jaw fatigue.

What I would advise, though, regardless of the mouthpiece you're using, is not to bite down hard on it, but try and keep it loosely, but comfortably positioned in your mouth. This way you'll minimise any soreness.

Depth of diving with braces is not an issue. I've done dives to around 48m (150 ft?) with braces, with no problems, so 40-60 ft shouldn't be a problem for you.

There is absolutely nothing else you need to worry about as far as diving with braces is concerned.

Being at altitude is also fine, subject to the normal precautions about the interval between your last dive and your flight (24 hours recommended).

Enjoy your trip.

pcgal

#3 Post by pcgal »

If I'm renting a regulator, can I still take my own mouthpiece? How does that work? I'm going to call my local dive shop and see if they even have the moldable mouthpiece you're talking about. Thanks so much!

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

I'm a very rank amateur snorkeler compared to the other people who are posting.

I found out that you can't really wear your elastics while you are snorkeling - I forgot to take them out, and they just popped off. But, that was the only issue that I had.

P.S. This was on a cruise at the Great Barrier Reef - talk about spectacular!

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

pcgal wrote:If I'm renting a regulator, can I still take my own mouthpiece? How does that work? I'm going to call my local dive shop and see if they even have the moldable mouthpiece you're talking about. Thanks so much!
If you're renting a reg and want to switch mouthpieces, I suggest you talk to the shop you'll be hiring gear from. I can't see it being a problem, but good to check first.

Bettybat, you are absolutely right about elastics and diving. This is probably the only time I've had elastics down time outside of cleaning. Glad you enjoyed the GBR, a diverse and wonderful ecosystem.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I'm glad this question came up, as learning to scuba dive is something hubby and I have decided to do as soon as I've finished paying for my braces later this year.

We both enjoy snorkelling but of course are limited as to the depth we can dive by lung capacity, and I was wondering whether the biting down on the mouthpiece would be difficult or uncomfortable with braces, as I hadn't snorkelled since getting them on.

pcgal

#7 Post by pcgal »

Our local dive store said that they have several moldable mouth pieces...and on the back of the package they say the types of regs they work with. Since I only go on a dive trip once a year, I think I'll just try what they have down there and make the best of it.

I think the best advice from lionfish was "not to bite down too hard"...that is something I'm guilty of...in the past it wasn't a problem...but when I was doing my checkout dive, I could feel my teeth move...a feeling I wasn't used to while diving before. I tend to do it when I see something cool (or scary). Hope I don't see any sharks...not too close anyway! I'll need a little more motrin, I think. :lol:

I had been scheduled for my first adjustment the day prior to leaving...I rescheduled that...I didn't want all the soreness on my trip...I'll just wait until I return. Hope I don't regret that decision. I hope it won't delay the end result too much.

lionfish

#8 Post by lionfish »

pcgal wrote:Our local dive store said that they have several moldable mouth pieces...and on the back of the package they say the types of regs they work with. Since I only go on a dive trip once a year, I think I'll just try what they have down there and make the best of it.

Hope I don't see any sharks...not too close anyway! I'll need a little more motrin, I think. :lol:

I had been scheduled for my first adjustment the day prior to leaving...I rescheduled that...I didn't want all the soreness on my trip...I'll just wait until I return. Hope I don't regret that decision. I hope it won't delay the end result too much.
Sounds like you've got it all worked out, pcgal. That's good.

Don't worry about sharks, most of them aren't dangerous and/or don't bother humans.

I don't think rescheduling your adjustment will lengthen your treatment.

ame_malia

#9 Post by ame_malia »

I didn't actually think about this until I saw the topic posted, but I am really glad that I will (probably) be getting my bite plate removed next month, as my fiance and I are going to Cozumel in May and I planned on going snorkeling. I can see that stupid little chunk of plastic really getting in the way, or at least getting on my nerves.
I don't really have any useful info for you, I'm just bored (really should be getting to bed)

Well, have fun on your trip!

pcgal

#10 Post by pcgal »

We're back from our dive trip and I'm happy to say I survived my diving adventures with braces! I have to say, I'm glad I didn't have my adjustment done prior to my trip. After each day of diving/snorkeling, my mouth was sore. But I think it was as much from biting down on the mouthpiece as it was having braces. No worries. I wish I'd be diving right now! Thanks everyone for the sound advice!

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

It sounds like you had a great time, pcgal. I wish I was diving right now as well....

50+

snorkeling with braces

#12 Post by 50+ »

Hi, I'm going snorkeling in the Florida Keys this Saturday and was wondering if I would have a problem with my braces. After reading these posts - it looks like I would not. However, I will be renting the equipment -which means I will be using what they have available. Do you think that I would have a problem using standard snorkeling equipment? I have been snorkeling before, but not with braces.
50+ ceramics top and bottom as of 2-16-10
Scheduled to have braces removed on 8-16-12!!

emilio

#13 Post by emilio »

When you fly with braces at high altitudes they tend to expand and cause horrible pain :O

Just kidding! no problem at all flying with braces. I have crossed the Atlantic several times even after adjustments and minor mouth surgery (related to orthodontic treatment) and never had a problem.

Don't know about diving though, I can't swim let alone dive unless it is to stay at the bottom of the ocean.
Braces installed: Friday 21 Nov. 2008 12:00
Brace types: (fixed) Damon
Fraenum surgery: Saturday 03 Jan. 2009 16:00
Molar extractions: Planned June 2009
Orthognatic surgery: sometime in 2010