Bad contact developing 3 weeks in treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rutger

Bad contact developing 3 weeks in treatment

#1 Post by Rutger »

Hello,
I started braces 3 weeks ago (again, after 27 years) and wanted to know if anyone has the same experience with a really bad contact developing early on in treatment. My upper/lower teeth are touching only in one place and in that spot they don't "fit" together at all. I'm not sure what the right words exactly are to describe it. Those two teeth have become extremely sensitive way down in the bone. It really hurts when I sneeze or talk when they touch accidentially. I think it started with the spacers and the uncontrolled movement of the teeth in that week. It would help to know this too will pass.....

Also great support to read about others having problems with bad hot/cold sensititivity. I thought I had a cracked tooth, it started so suddenly. For now Ibuprofen makes it tolerable. Everything else is OK, I've lost 5 lbs in the 1st two weeks. My joke is this is my $4300 weight loss program :!:

Rutger

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

This is absolutely normal. In the early months your teeth are moving around quite a bit. When I first got mine I would tell my husband that I would never know where my teeth were going to be when I woke up in the morning. It does settle down, though right now my ortho is finishing things up and it has caused some movement that I wasn't expecting at this stage SPAM SPAM SPAMMING.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

chicklets

#3 Post by chicklets »

I don't have my brackets yet, but with all the movement I've had in 4 months with my palate expander, my teeth don't match up at all anymore. I understand the strange, sensitive feeling you are having. When I take out my removable expander to eat, if I put my unmatched teeth together, they feel really sensitive and uncomfortable. My ortho assured me it was a normal sensation and that once I'm brace and everything moves where it is suppose to be (meeting properly again), I won't have the feeling anymore.
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

Pirate Wench

#4 Post by Pirate Wench »

I know how you feel about your teeth not "fitting together" anymore. My teeth are constantly on the move and there are always some teeth that don't quite match up! :? Now that I am doing different elastics the movement is different again.

The sensitivity thing has been around for me too. I found that the extreme sevsitivity was coordinated with extreme movement at the beginning of being braced. Now that the arches are in place, the sensitivity has become alot less. I think it has something to do with how much the tooth moves and then the root hasn't moved enough to keep up with the alignment.

kazan again

#5 Post by kazan again »

I had several months where I couldnt close the back teeth together and the front teeth seemed to grind against each other and when I looked in the mirror I realised I couldnt even get the upper front teeth to fit over the lower front teeth anymore. I thought it would never get back to normal. Then recently I realised that, without me being aware of much movement, the teeth seemed to be fitting together as they did before I started treatment almost a year ago except this time they were straight as well.

That said, I apparently still have the joys of elastics to look forward to so it isnt over yet..................

Rutger

Thanks

#6 Post by Rutger »

Thanks for the replies. We'll wait it out.
Popped the wire out of a bracket this evening eating my first non-soaked cookie. I knew better. So one more trip to the orthodontist tomorrow......

victor36

#7 Post by victor36 »

i havent broken off any brackets (yet) but as far as cookies go, they are my weakness, so i had to improvise a cookie-dunking drink to make crunchy cookies braces-friendly. coffee, tea, ANYTHING just so i can eat cookies :D

~Victor
B-day: 02/06/07
Adjustments: 04/03/07, 05/30/07, 07/25/07, 09/18/07, 11/15/07, 01/10/08, 03/04/08, 05/08/08
Debonding: 07/01/08
18 month prognosis
Actual Treatment Time: 1 year, 4 months, 25 days
Click on the Image ↓↓ below for my story.