Time betweem extractions and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beautemous02

Time betweem extractions and braces

#1 Post by Beautemous02 »

My orthodontist originally wanted me to wait 2 weeks after extractions to have spacers and then the week after get my braces. Now, I have to wait 3 weeks until I get spacers. Why is it necessary to wait so long. Couldn't I just get spacers a week after extractions? Please help because I am so confused.

ladylee

#2 Post by ladylee »

That is a good question, but that must be something that is up to each individual ortho. I had spacers for 2 weeks, got my braces and had an extraction the day after the braces were put on. Did you ask your ortho why he wanted to wait? Lee

Beautemous02

#3 Post by Beautemous02 »

The treatment coordinator is the one that said to wait 2 weeks. The only reason why I am waiting 3 weeks is because he will be out of town the week I originally was suppose to get braces. Today when they called to reschedule my appointments, I asked why I couldn't wait a week and she said the doc wants to give my gums time to heal. Thats what is so confusing because people have extractions with braces all the time and plus she told me that one of my molars might get pulled during treatment. Am I just frustrated just because I am so anxious? Since I am putting $6000 into this treatment, can't I have a little say?

joney

#4 Post by joney »

Hi Beautemous02

I think it is not a bad thing to wait. I had my braces fitted about a week after extractions and one of the extraction sites was still a bit sore (my choice of timing not my orthos, they left it up to me). In restrospect I would have preferred to have had a two week wait to give my gums time to settle. In the end it worked out ok but the extraction site was more of a problem than the brace was.

Time flies so that 3 weeks will come around very quickly.

Good luck with your treatment.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

ngbraces

#5 Post by ngbraces »

Braces is a long process where the difference of few weeks or sometimes few months doesn't really matter as long as good result is achieved. Time intervals can be different among patients. I got spacers on first. One week later I got braces, but the archwire stopped right before the would-to-be-pulled-off tooth. One day later I had that tooth removed. I needed to wait 2 more weeks to get the wire across my extraction gap. Same reason as yours: My gum needed time to heal before the archwire could run across. I agree with Joney, give a little more time for your extraction site to heal, you won't be worry later. The most important thing now is to make sure you understand what is and will be going on with your treatment - like pulling molar - So, prepare questions to your ortho.
Good luck.
Full Metal Mouth

Natalie

#6 Post by Natalie »

i had extractions and once my gums had healed for a couple of weeks (i think, i can't remember exactly!) i then was given a removable upper appliance to help pull my canines back into the gaps my extractions had left because apparently this was the best thing for the job. however...i still can't really see the point in this removable thing...it seemed to pull more on one canine than the other and after 6 months with very little movement on one side she put my fixed braces on anyway...watse of time and money as far as i can tell. i did ask her about it numerous times but she's a little vague...and i've given up asking questions too much now because i don't feel she answers them well. i've seen her work though and the results are great so i'm trying to just be more trusting now...besides if it was a waste of time and money there's not a huge amount i can do about it now is there? i think vague is probably the wrong word to use...erm...i'll ask a question and she goes into detail answering it but i never feel like she's really answered it, know what i mean? so i've given up! haha. if i have any concerns that seem important then i'll persevere but for now i'm just going with the flow...sorry gone off track a little there but from what i can gather all ortho's seem to work pretty differently to one an other but as long as we get the results we want i dont suppose it matters too much although i can see why it would concern you...ortho's don't tend to be very empathetic with our impatience do they? don't get me wrong...we know everything takes time but if we can achieve the results we want in a little less time without any negative impact then we want that don't we? i sometimes wonder if my dentist is just a little too laid back and chilled out :roll:

cowlypso

#7 Post by cowlypso »

I know it's hard to wait, but given the choice between getting braces 1 week or 3 weeks after extractions, I would go with 3 weeks. Extractions aren't the end of the world, but it's not pleasant, and you're going to be tender there for a while. Taking some time to totally heal up and have everything feeling good when you start is always a good idea.

I was mad about having to wait that long, too, but I'm glad I did. I wanted to try to squeeze everything in and do things right back to back, but there's no way I wanted anybody but me near my mouth for at least a few days after the extractions. And although I really wasn't in pain after a week, I still wouldn't have wanted anybody messing around inside my mouth.

LucyQ99

#8 Post by LucyQ99 »

I had 5 teeth extracted (the ones behind each of my canines and one wisdom). My ortho had me to wait two weeks also. At first I didn't want to because I'm thinking, I'mma have these holes in my mouth with no braces to cover them!

However, that 2 weeks was probably the best thing. My mouth needed time to recover, extractions are major to the mouth.

So, if I were you, I'd take the 2 weeks, it'll fly by. The first week you'll probably spend in medium to little pain from the extractions anyway. The second you'll be getting amped up for your new journey!

It's not that bad :wink:

LucyQ99

#9 Post by LucyQ99 »

I wish you well with your treatment! :pinkbraces:

Beautemous02

#10 Post by Beautemous02 »

After having these extractions 5 days ago, I am still in a bit of pain. One of my teeth was pretty hard for him to pull out and he had to use surgical tools. I guess I understand now that I should be patient. Thanks everyone.