They took my archwire away!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jma295psu

They took my archwire away!!!

#1 Post by jma295psu »

So, I had another adjustment this morning. I went in planning to beg and plead with the ortho to remove the evil expander from my mouth.

However, the visit went much different than I expected. He let the assistant put in a new archwire and everything. The new archwire was an 18 moving up from the 15 I had in. In addition, they put wire ties on my already sore upper canines. The canines are sore from the wires on the expander pushing on them all the time.

After the assistant put everything in, he came to check my progress. He made me bite, open, bite, open...you all know the drill...At that point he says, we need to expand more :shock: Needless to say, I was not happy. He told the assistant to remove everything from the top, and then he turned the key once in the office. I wish I had taken some sort of OTC pain reliever, but I wasn't planning on the key being turned. So, it's back to the freaky head splitting open feeling. Not to mention that he tells me to measure my gap, then call him in a week and tell him how much space we have gained. After that, he will decide if we need to continue expansion....

All in all, I am going to have expanded 11mm (that's the space at the gumline anyway). I have no clue how much expansion there has been at the molars, but apparently it's not enough. :roll: The assistant asked him what he wanted done on the top then, and he just told her to put ligs on. No archwire, just ligs on the brackets. I don't know if anyone else has had this or has any advice, but it's very uncomfortable right now. Imagine the feeling that you have in between the archwires at the ortho's...then imagine it 24/7 for over a week.

Sorry to be such a complainer. I am sore as can be from the abuse of my uppers this morning. Luckily, nothing was done to the lowers, or I think I would be in tears, literally. Oh well, I have to go to class now and try to pay attention. Thank you all for listening to me vent :)

Jean

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

I can sympathize. Brackets with no wire are definitely uncomfortable. When I was braced, I got spacers and brackets in one appointment, then a week later I got my bottom wire and two weeks later I got my top wire. You will get used to it, just like you got used to the braces in the first place. It's a different feeling, though. Definitely use the wax. I found that the wax is actually easier to use when you just have brackets. Hope you are feeling better soon!

jma295psu

#3 Post by jma295psu »

Thanks for the pointers :) I thought about wax, but I didn't want to seem like a wimp....perhaps I will just cover each bracket with wax! That may look funny, but at least it will be more comfortable :wink:

I guess if anyone wants to stare at the weirdo with wax on all her teeth, then they can. If it makes them happy, then it's all good :)

Jean

ishasha

#4 Post by ishasha »

jma295psu, let me give you a big hug!

When my ortho made a big loop in my wire, it was pretty uncomfortable too. I had to turn to wax again (I thought my mouth were already tough enough after 4 months torture). This time I put wax all over and it looks funny. :? But oh well, what can we do?
Uppers braced on 10/24/2006
Lowers braced on 6/25/2007

Natalie

#5 Post by Natalie »

aw you poor little thing! why do you need ligs on anyway if there's no wire for them to be attaching the brackets to...i might be being dumb here but i thought that's what the ligs were fore...hmm. sorry for the random question, hope you feel better soon

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

The ligs pad the edges of the brackets a little and make them a little more comfortable, but functionally they don't to anything.

Definitely go for the wax. You aren't being a wimp. You'll probably find that after a few days you won't need it anymore, once you adjust again. But why suffer?

jma295psu

#7 Post by jma295psu »

Thanks guys :)

I am getting ready to do the first turn of 10...it's been a while...

I assume he put the ligs on for comfort, although they are not doing anything for where my lip is hitting the brackets anyway. Usually they are only there to secure the archwire into the bracket. Maybe he thought I wanted them to look pretty, I dunno.

I think I will give in and use the wax. I also have a mouthguard that I got when I started this whole thing. I ended up not using it because it was for the top only and I needed top and bottom at the time. For while I am alone anyway, it should serve as a nice barrier for my lip. :roll: Really hoping he doesn't somehow decide to have me turn forever...there's not too terribly much room left on the actual screw in the expander :(

Thanks for reading my horribly long post and making me feel not so alone! At least I know I am not the only one who has ever been left without an archwire for whatever reason :)

Jean

chicklets

#8 Post by chicklets »

So sorry to hear what happened, Jean. It's frustrating when you think your treatment is going to go one way, and then the plan gets changed to something else in a split second. I don't go with the flow very well.

I too am in an expander and am sooooooo anxious to get this thing out of my mouth. I'm looking forward to being braced, but if I end up in a bite plate that even remotely feels like this big expander, I'm going to be whining through my entire course.
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

overseasmel

#9 Post by overseasmel »

Oh Jean, so sorry you have to keep turning!! We all know its for the best in the end and it'll help you have a fantastic bite, but I certainly know what its like to go in every week and hooooope the ortho will let you stop splitting your head open.

I remember my appointment where I walked in with 12mm and that's what the ortho had said he had wanted. I was so ready to be told I could stop, that when he said "okay, let's just keep going until the screw physically won't turn anymore", I was devastated. After I left the office I walked into the bathrooms, sms'd m boyfriend to tell him I hated the world, and promptly had a good old cry.

You will be SUCH a toughnut after this that nothing else they do in there will phase you at all. In the meantime, everyone is right- no such thing as being a wimp, only being smart. Do WHATEVER helps.

And every turn is that one step closer to the smile you'll love for the rest of your life.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

jma295psu

#10 Post by jma295psu »

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone! For some reason, this second round of expansion is much more painful than the first. I spent most of this weekend on bed because anything I did would make my mouth more sore.

I have now completed 4/10 days of turning. There are only 3 more days until I speak with the ortho to give him the gap comparison. Then he will decide if I should turn more or give it a rest. Luckily, I am home on Friday for spring break for a whole week, so it will be much easier to visit the ortho if I have to go repeatedly.

I was hesitant to chew much of anything as all of my uppers felt loose. However, I followed the advice that has been posted several times on the board by several others. Chew, chew, and chew some more. I have been challenging myself slowly to chew more complex things. Whether this is the cause of the relief, or my palate has realized what I am doing, I don't know. I do know that I am not hurting near as much as I was in the beginning. Also, I have been very generous with the wax. I figure, my ortho made me do this, so he can give me more wax, lol :)

Thanks again for all of the kind words and advice everyone :)